PDA

View Full Version : My boat - reminiscing

gogger
11-10-2013, 12:04 AM
With the recent diletion of Ngavdba's posts I have been thinking a lot about this forum. I read the rules for posts, and one of them one that post in all catagories except supra families should be about boats and boating. This one is. I have wanted an Inboard Ski boat since about 1982. I owned a Correct Craft Mustang in the early eighties. It was under powered by a four cylinder Renault engine with twin single barrel carbs. While I had fun with the boat it sucked for skiing and any other water sport activity. I would see the guys with the Ski Nautiques having way more fun, that 8 cylinder seemed the way to go.

So when my wife and I started boating with some friends a couple years ago, their 6 cylinder I/O reminded me of my old Mustang. We started talking about getting our own boat and I said I was all for it, as long as it could be an Inboard Ski Boat. So I began the search. And quickly found my 1989 Supra Pirata. It was a couple of hours a way in Cleveland. I went to look at it and instantly was in love. I knew it needed work, but was fooled by him into thinking it was a solid boat.

Thinking it was just going to need upholstery I took it to a local shop when I got it home and quickly learned about rotten stringers. I was pretty much in a state of panic. I don't remember how exactly I found this forum, but I did. And while I was panicking I posted about my problems here. And the first person to respond was Ngavdba. He quickly calmed my nerves and assured my that many of the members here have been through the same thing. And he gave me Donny Bennett's phone number. After talking to Donny I was able to patch my boat up enough to gingerly make it through my first year leaving the stringers alone.

All through last year I was quite envious of all the boats that had already been done. And when I would talk to friends and family about my supra, I would always tell them about Daniel's boat. I had read most of his posts and was very impressed by how meticulously he had redone his boat. How the boat had been in his family since new. How he had pictures of it through the years. By the garage he built to house it in. How it wasn't just a garage, it was a boat mansion. A place any boat would be happy to call home. All of this detailed and documented on the forum. All of which I spent many hours reading and looking at picture. Showing the pictures to members of my family, and my friends.

Started to feel like I knew him, even though I had barely communicated with him through the forum.

Then I had the opportunity to attend the 2013 Supra Southern Reunion. I had intended on going in 2012, but the stars didn't align for me. But I knew I wasn't going to miss the next one.

Attending that was the highlight of owning my Supra so far. It was very cool seeing so many supras together. Hadn't really seen any other older supra in person on the water. And the T-shirt and stickers that Daniel put together for the event are some of my prize posessions. The couple of days spent together was a blast. The hightlight getting to surf behind a newer supra and helping Daniel learn to surf for the first time.

Some of the other highlights of owning my Supra has been the Wake The World events I have attended with my supra. I learned about those through the forum also.

The many hours my wife and I have spent together on the boat have brought us closer together. And we are looking forward to the years to come and enjoying our boat even more.

And had it not been for this forum and Ngavdba I don't believe things would be quite the same. I was pretty set on taking the Pirata back to the person I bought it off of and telling him what to do with it. Especially after finding a post on here started a year before I bought the boat from someone else that was thinking about going and looking at it.

That being said:

My understanding is that a moderator accidently deleted all of Ngavdba's posts. While Ngavdba may have violated a rule of the forum, I don't believe that the appropriate action was to delete his entire history.

I feel that if this is the case there needs to be a safety measure in place for the moderators. Perhaps it should require two moderators to permanately remove all of someones history. That way this won't happen in the future.

biggsie
11-10-2013, 01:34 AM
I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one who read all of his posts more than once! Thank you for sharing your story. I also felt like I knew him by reading his posts. He is the one who advised me to start my rebuild with the trailer and hull exterior. I'm not sure I would have done that, but I'm glad he chimed in.

Because we all like pics here is one of his that I saved before deletion. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/10/jejebaha.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

beat taco
11-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Total bummer, my first thought was he was a mod and deleted his own posts, turns out he was erased by someone else. Crazy situation, I hope it can be resolved.

Ptownkid
11-10-2013, 08:38 AM
Accidental or on purpose, deleting that many posts is an action that destroys a message board by making VERY valuable information unavailable or difficult to follow. This highlights the need for us to start our own community. It's not like supra listens to any of us or participates anyway...

I'm very disappointed.

gogger
11-10-2013, 08:46 AM
I am all for us starting our own. Thought about starting an inboard ski boat club or association.

michael hunter
11-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Nautique has a separate independent forum called CorrectCraftFan. It caters to the older Correct Craft boats and works in conjunction with Planet Nautique . A lot of the members are on both forums . Its funny that the mid 40s and up crowd on CCF are so active in the sport compared to the younger owners with newer boats. I think the same can be said here the guys with the older boats are a lot more active on the forum and are a lot more likely to join in with group functions and get togathers. The Moomba guys are a lot more active than the Supra guys I wonder why that is?

Ptownkid
11-10-2013, 10:46 AM
It's a twofold reason. The first being that moobas are a little cheaper and more accessible so there are more owners, the other is that this forum isn't run as well as compared to forums that thrive well that I am a part of.

DAFF
11-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Wiping out a member like this is totally not acceptable. I am not aware of how or why things came to this point but in my own opinion the moderator acted foolishly. Ngavdba has been a long term member on this forum and knows these boats inside out and backwards. Deleting him removes so much relative information from the site which others use. His actions might of not followed the forum guidelines but .....

THE MODERATORS ACTIONS HAVE PUNISHED EVERYONE AND REMOVED A WEATH OF KNOWNEDGE WHICH CAN NOT BE REPLACED!!!!!

Ptownkid
11-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Yup, my sentiments exactly. If...and it's a big if, someones actions deserve banishment, so be it, but removing content ruins the forum for everyone else. I have to believe that this was an error...and I also have to believe that there is a backup. However the chance of hearing from an admin around here is slim to none.

DAFF
11-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Perhaps we should all wait till this issue is resolved by Administrator and stop posting on www.SUPRABOATS.COM

Jetlink
11-10-2013, 04:04 PM
Guys, it's true. I made the gross mistake of accidentally "banning" him which also removes all his posts. This action is not reversible as I've tried multiple attempts. Hate me all you want, I beat myself up enough over it but whatever, I'm done. I've apologized to NGAVDBA pretty much every time we chat and you know what? He thanks me for everything I've done including the accidental banning of him. He and I are and will continue to be friends going forward and he has affirmed that he will continue to attend Supra events and reach out to those that desire his input and friendship. He's not dead and he has not nor will he be selling his boat.

Since you all feel so strongly that there should be punitive punishment for my actions, I too shall be taking a leave from this forum. I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing those that attend the 2014 Supra reunion next summer. Both NGAVDBA and I will be there.

Ptownkid
11-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Whoa...no one said that there should be punitive action and I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not upset with you at all if it was an accident. There's no need for you to "leave", and why would you? That being said, does the host not keep a backup? Does the admin not create one?

csuggs
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
Everyone take a deep breath . . . .

Let's keep this a positive, fun, informative forum. Jetlink has apologized, so let's move on. 😐

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

csuggs
11-10-2013, 04:48 PM
Scott W, I haven't forgot about the pics from WTW. I'll need to either mail you a cd or upload to google drive so you can access and download.

Clint

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gogger
11-10-2013, 10:54 PM
Jetlink-I apologize if I made you feel like I wanted you punished. That was not my intent. I just feel that there needs to be a safety measure our in place so such an accidental deletion cannot occur. And I also felt like mourning the loss of Daniels posts. I feel that it was a big loss personally and wanted to express that. Never had the intent to make you feel bad.

gogger
11-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Csuggs-I was able to download them from the site and save them and then order what I wanted printed. So I am good. Thank you.

Ptownkid
11-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Jetlink-I apologize if I made you feel like I wanted you punished. That was not my intent. I just feel that there needs to be a safety measure our in place so such an accidental deletion cannot occur.

Yeah, that was my feeling as well...there's no reason (no offense intended in the least Jetlink) that a mod should have the ability to accidentally (or even on purpose for that matter) do a hard delete of a users posts. It highlights the bigger issue of the actual administrator not really being a part of this community and this forum not getting the attention it deserves. I have been a member of at least a dozen forums that are rather large over the years and have never seen this happen, at least not permanently.

DAFF
11-11-2013, 03:31 PM
I have a solution to the issue at hand. Use a warning point system which can be administered by the moderators, when someone accumulates 3 points they receive a 30day time out automatically. On the next three point accumulation there is a year suspension.

More than likely due to all the spammers we had at one point the clean up process for anyone which was banned was wiped off the system. As a moderator Jetlink you were just trying to do your job and keep this forum a friendly and great place to find out about anything Supra or inboard related. Bottom line is we need to implement a better system for this never happens in the future.

mdb122
11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Nicely written gogger . As a RIDER owner myself, I soaked up a ton of information from NGAVDBA through his detailed write-ups, and his amazing pictures . He has one of the nicest classics on the water. I don't know that I would have restored my own without seeing ALL of his information on this site. NGAVDBA spent a lot of time helping folks on here, and though I did not know him personally, would certainly like to send out a big THANK YOU .
Mike - AZ

haugy
11-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Guys, it happened, it's done. The reality is he wanted to leave. He asked to leave. And by some freak accident it was deleted permanently. It was the first time it's ever happened (I
think). But it's done.

The mods have their hands full with spammers, and a-holes like me always needing to be cleaned up after. They have enough to deal with. So he deleted it, so what? He didn't mean to, and feels like absolute crap for it. Jetlink is a very big Supra fan, and a good guy. No point in harping on it anymore. PERIOD.

As for Ngavdba leaving, it was his choice. As a true die hard I completely understand him leaving. I have done it in other forums in the past as well. It sucks. Happily I think I can call him a friend, and will maintain contact with him as that, a friend and fellow boater. Many of you here have been very fortunate to know Daniel, and learn from him. He was always willing to help out a willing Supra fan.

The best thing you can do, is to maintain your activity, and make sure the knowledge that you gained is shared. Yes there were great threads and pictures that are lost forever. But I'm willing to bet my boat that 9 out of 10 of those threads have helped someone. And that those people now have that knowledge to pass on. So do it. Follow in Daniel's example and be there for others who need help in saving these great boats. Help others learn what they need, to be able to join the Supra family and thrive in it.

I've noticed here time and time again that people think others are buying Supras just because they are budget boats for an entry level person. Those who think that way don't do the Supra name any justice. Most who buy these boats fall in love with their true potential, and become very Supra family-centric as soon as they realize the capability and beauty these boats have. Sure there are those who are looking for a cheap boat to then butcher with homemade jungle-gyms, botched paint jobs, and goofy wraps. But the majority love the Supra for what it has and always will provide, a way for people of all walks of life, all financial capabilities, and all types of tastes to get out on the water and enjoy the boating world.

So as I try to do all the time, help those who need it on here. Share your knowledge in here. Help embrace the new-comers here (unless they paint shark teeth on the boat), and teach them what you've learned from all the members here. We all love these boats, that's why we are here. Help others learn to love them. Help others learn to save them. And help others to be able to do the same.

trayson
11-13-2013, 06:03 PM
Guys, it happened, it's done. The reality is he wanted to leave. He asked to leave. And by some freak accident it was deleted permanently. It was the first time it's ever happened (I
think). But it's done.

The mods have their hands full with spammers, and a-holes like me always needing to be cleaned up after. They have enough to deal with. So he deleted it, so what? He didn't mean to, and feels like absolute crap for it. Jetlink is a very big Supra fan, and a good guy. No point in harping on it anymore. PERIOD.

As for Ngavdba leaving, it was his choice. As a true die hard I completely understand him leaving...

I can't help but feel some degree of responsibility (or at least involvement) in all of this. And since Haugy is one that's said he understands why, I would like to call on that understanding. Because I still don't completely understand why.

My recolection of the events that led up to all of this are as follows:

Advice was asked on Bunks vs. Poles. NGAVDBA's pic was posted as an example of some of the biggest bunks they'd seen.
I saw those and pictured all that I could screw up on my hull if I came in crooked and advocated poles (for ME)
NGAVDBA said that poles look goofy
I showed a few examples stating new wake boats all use poles
He said they look goofy and said that "bass boats have poles".
I bantered a little in response and said his argument was invalid (i.e. that bass boats have props, seats, steering wheels, etc).
He first replied "We get it, you like poles".
Then all his responses were edited out and I eventually heard about the accidental banning and his desire to leave.

I certainly don't want to be viewed as some troll that is tearing apart the Supra community. I like to think that I am a valid contributor and most certainly embrace promoting knowledge through sharing. I've been told on more than one occasion that my long writeup about the purchase of my boat and my experiences over the first summer of ownership have helped out other people making similar buying decisions... I know my transmission rebuild has allowed me to give insight to others.

Bottom line is that I was in "debate mode" and "banter mode". But I would have NEVER guessed that I was pushing his buttons to the degree that he would ultimately choose to leave the forum. I was shocked. I've been given a lot more sh** by others here than I felt like I was dishing out. And I was never insulting or condescending to him. In fact, I went to great lengths to say that he's undoubtedly a better driver than me (hence my need for poles) and that he obviously takes way better care of his boat than mine (hence his beautiful gelgoat relative to mine). The compliments I threw out were generous and were definitley intended to prevent offense from being taken.

So, I feel like some responsibility does rest on my shoulders, because I keep thinking that had I not engaged him in (what I thought was playful) banter, he'd probably still be here. So, I'm interested in learning what it was that struck a nerve. And finding out if I was overboard with my enthusiasm to debate and get on my internet soapbox. And if there's more to the story that I'm not aware of.

Gogger, please accept my apologies, because regardless of my intentions, I think that my interaction with him was not recieved as playfully as I intended and ultimately started things in motion to have the unfortunate result we're all left with. I never wanted this result and would personally beg him back if I could.

michael hunter
11-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Oh for petes sake . I don't know what was said but I find it hard to believe that 1 tread would make any member much less a senior member call it quits . I'm sure it was a mistake that he got banned moderators are not given instructions on every aspect of the operation of this forum. We do the best we can but mistakes happen. I agree with Haugy time to grow a pair and move on. If David dosnt want to post that is his decision. I don't know what is going on in his life. I doubt it was that thread that caused this. I hope things work out for him and he comes back to the family. Sometimes brothers have to give a little space to regroup. I hope to see him and all the rest of you at one of the get togethers next year.

suprasam
11-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I say off with EVERYONE'S head! Anarchy in the streets will solve it all! Ha....anyone up for a drink? Wooooo long thread to read. Sorry I know its not a light subject, I always seem to laugh at odd things.

masongardner
11-14-2013, 09:37 PM
I say off with EVERYONE'S head! Anarchy in the streets will solve it all! Ha....anyone up for a drink? Wooooo long thread to read. Sorry I know its not a light subject, I always seem to laugh at odd things.

I like your style. I have been reading this thread the last few days because its kind of entertaining. Not to offend anyone of course.

cadunkle
11-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Whoa, I'm out of the loop for a few weeks and now people are getting banned? Especially long time members and all posts with tremendously valuable knowledge deleted? If that's how it's gonna be why should any of us bother contributing here? Spending all that time helping others and documenting valuable information here when it turns out to just be wasted time and the information deleted... Seems pointless. No issues like this over at CCF and those guys can be pretty rough around the edges and crude at times with the back and forth yet have a tremendous wealth of information on restoration and modification and a tight knit group. I don't really know what happened, but at first glance it looks like the beginning of the end of this group.

trayson
11-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Whoa, I'm out of the loop for a few weeks and now people are getting banned? Especially long time members and all posts with tremendously valuable knowledge deleted? If that's how it's gonna be why should any of us bother contributing here? Spending all that time helping others and documenting valuable information here when it turns out to just be wasted time and the information deleted... Seems pointless. No issues like this over at CCF and those guys can be pretty rough around the edges and crude at times with the back and forth yet have a tremendous wealth of information on restoration and modification and a tight knit group. I don't really know what happened, but at first glance it looks like the beginning of the end of this group.

Much of what happened was unintentional. The Mods didn't mean to delete and he's thrown himself on his sword as a result.

I've come to the conclusion that my little bit of easy banter couldn't have been the sole contributor. It just wasn't that much in our exchange. So undoubtedly there was a lot more to the story of why he wanted to leave and not come back. But no one that's in the know sees the need to fill me in, so I've accepted I probably won't find out.

Waiting for it to all blow over. Your post seems to be putting a bit more fuel on the fire though.

mapleleaf
11-18-2013, 11:47 PM
It's getting late, y'all are a bunch of great guys, goodnight

Ptownkid
11-19-2013, 08:04 AM
I'm with maple...time to move foward and restore the vibe. Cheers

92SupraComp
11-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Sorry guys, as you know I haven't been here long, trying to remember who Ngavdba was. What boat did he have? I know I have gone through some of his forums... Sorry just trying to remember who he was. Also, still trying to understand what happened with what thread... Not trying to start something, worst thing to do. Best thing is as you guys have said, move on...

Moor
12-04-2013, 10:55 PM
See what happens in the off season? Lol I bet none of this would have happened if our boats were still in the water. It's going to be a long winter.