PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild/replacement thoughts

99bison
11-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Have a 2001 TBI 330hp GM 5.7 Indmar that needs replacement for vdrive, block is shot, heads, externals are ok, some cleaner, have been replaced recently, etc.

I have been exploring all the various options and there so many :). So anyone have thoughts on what you've done, would do differently, what you purchased, etc.

92SupraComp
11-14-2013, 12:26 AM
Ah, now one thing you need to identify is, is it a Chevy 350 or Vortec 5.7L. They are VERY different motors! One way to tell is the exhaust setup. Are the 4 individual exhuast ports on each or 3?

Also, I would go for a Chevy 350, or a Ford 351W. The Chevy will be cheaper to rebuild and get more HP out of but the Ford is more reliable technically. To get 330hp or more isn't very hard with these motors.

A place I would just talk to would be: ProFormance Unlimited. http://www.proformanceunlimited.com/
These guys know how to do engines right. If you do it your self expect to save a good couple $$$$, but have pro's do it $6.5K and up usually...

99bison
11-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Thanks, it's a vortec, I'll check out that link next.

92SupraComp
11-14-2013, 08:05 PM
Now, one things, if you want them to build a motor, they will order all the parts and send the parts to you. So its a complete and matching kit, but you get to have the fun of building it and you save $$$ on labor...

99bison
11-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I'd been thinking about rebuilding myself for the fun/experience someday -- like in 3-4 years. However, since it's now that's a different story. Available time this winter is going to be tough. So as of now have been talking to local machine shops, etc and likely will go that route. Then any free time can be dedicated to other details I want to work on :) - that if they don't get done it's not quite as bad as not having an engine.