PDA

View Full Version : Adventures in Winterization...

trayson
11-12-2013, 06:20 PM
So I finished up my winterization last night.

I started a few days ago, but it started raining so I had to stop abruptly. I had just finished adding oil after the oil change. So, last night I fired up the engine to circulate the oil. And watched oil starting to flow down the bilge from under the filter! UGH. I was dumbfounded and thought I had got the wrong filter. Turns out the filter was correct (Motorcraft FL-1A) but when the old filter came off, it left the gasket and the old gasket got crumpled in there when I spun on the new gasket. So once I got rid of the old gasket, I was back in business.

I had no trouble removing the drain plugs on either side of the block and the one on the front near the water pump. I took out the impeller and this is what I found:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-frH492RYFjY/UoKi0XDEW4I/AAAAAAAAPgM/QhQZQ7Kxz54/s800/20131111_181054.jpg

Was planning on a new impeller anyway, so no biggie there.

I couldn't get out the drain plugs at the back of the manifolds though. They look like this (not my picture).
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e260/TRBenj/exhaustmanifolddrains.jpg

I did blow out most all the water with my air compressor. Also removed one of the lines going to/from my heater craft box and blew out that water. And removed a hose from the tranny cooler and blew that water out. I removed the upper hose on the cooler because I wanted to see if there was anything clogging the cooler (nope, all good).

I'm hoping that blowing lots of air through the remaining holes will suffice and that now being able to get the plugs out of the manifolds won't cause me grief... We really don't have very hard winters here. Low 30's and maybe upper 20's is the worst is really gets. I threw a 100 watt shop light in the boat for good measure though.

First winter with the boat. hopefully all goes well.

haugy
11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
1) Grow a pair
2) Get those plugs out of the exhaust manifolds.
3) Watch and be amazed at how much water they really hold.

Go soak the manifold plugs with PB blaster, can be found at any automotive supply store. Go back an hour later, try them. If they don't break free, repeat. Do this until they are out.

After you get the water out, remove the ignition plug, do a few turns of the motor to make sure any water under pressure is relieved and expunged. Anything that is left will be half filled with water and you will be okay.

trayson
11-12-2013, 06:47 PM
1) Grow a pair
2) Get those plugs out of the exhaust manifolds.
3) Watch and be amazed at how much water they really hold.

Go soak the manifold plugs with PB blaster, can be found at any automotive supply store. Go back an hour later, try them. If they don't break free, repeat. Do this until they are out.

After you get the water out, remove the ignition plug, do a few turns of the motor to make sure any water under pressure is relieved and expunged. Anything that is left will be half filled with water and you will be okay.

#1 = ROFL! (be careful, I might decide I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the forum anymore and delete my account... Oh wait, you wouldn't care. --sorry, couldn't resist.)
#2 Damn, I was hoping for the "easier" answer of "don't worry about it, it'll be fine".

Yeah, I have PB blaster on my shelf in the garage. Not sure why I didn't think about that other than the fact that it looked like they hadn't been pulled in ages so was hoping that if the Prev owner got away with never doing it that maybe it wasn't that big of deal...

Supra_Comp
11-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah I would suggest working at those plugs, the manifolds hold quite a bit of water. Once drained I usually pour a bit of nontox into them incase there is any residual water just so it mixes.

biggsie
11-12-2013, 11:53 PM
A little heat from a torch can't hurt just watch the rubber exhaust hoses. When I got my plugs out they snapped so hard I was sure they broke!

Don't be shy with some RV anti freeze, it also can't hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

michael hunter
11-13-2013, 08:19 AM
Are you using a long 1/2'' ratchet or breaker bar?

haugy
11-13-2013, 11:19 AM
#1 = ROFL! (be careful, I might decide I have nothing worthwhile to contribute to the forum anymore and delete my account... Oh wait, you wouldn't care. --sorry, couldn't resist.)

I was busting your chops. But I'm glad to see you can be mature about things. I'm not in the habit of helping people like you. Enjoy this one, it's your last from me.

trayson
11-13-2013, 02:54 PM
I was busting your chops. But I'm glad to see you can be mature about things. I'm not in the habit of helping people like you. Enjoy this one, it's your last from me.

Oh come on, I was trying to make light of a situation. I LOL when you bust chops! I'll send you a PM here in a minute...

EDIT: for what it's worth, I hadn't read Googer's remeniscing thread when I had posted that comment. It's probably one of those situations where I should have told myself, "if you're questioning whether you should type that, there's your answer".

I'm starting to feel more and more like the guy that made Santa quit his job at the North Pole. :-/

docdrs
11-13-2013, 09:43 PM
After you get them out, join the 2 with a hose and a quick disconnect to make draining a snap next year. A pre impeller strainer would prevent thats impeller obliteration

92SupraComp
11-14-2013, 12:33 AM
For a new impeller:

1.) Click this link: http://www.amazon.com/Globe-Marine-18838-0001-Westerbeke-Pleasurecraft/dp/B00C9JXMT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384403767&sr=8-2&keywords=Globe+620
2.) Buy it.
3.) Install it.
4.) Check it after the 1st year then, Wait about 5 years, check on it, run it another 5 or so, check it again, and then run another 5 and replace it for the heck of it.