PDA

View Full Version : troubles setting top cap on my 86 sunsport

northern86sunsport
11-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Hey there Supra world!! I am new to this forum world, and a proud new owner of a one owner 86 sunsport!! Here is the real quick story: I used to be a service manager at my Dad's service shop in Ga. That was 13 years ago. I still feel confident, just need some specialty info. So, my Dad bought the boat on an insurance claim from a "lifer" customer. It sunk on his lift, not completely submerged. Actually only about 5 inches above top of floor. Turns out, the motor sunk into the stringers, wore out the shaft-log, and the rest is history. My dad had his guys gut it, and he started restoring it. Unfortunately, after a lung cancer scare, and a year later, a heart attack, his interest diminished, and the guy who kept tabs on everything I've ever owed him, gave me the boat!! But....I now live in MN, and he still lives in N. Ga. I flew down for 4 days to get it road ready. Goods: New beautiful, upholstery, new shaft, strong seal, carpet, rivets, covers, tires, lights, hoses, strong-seal, 3 and 4 blade prop, etc. etc. But get this..... THE ORIGINAL PAPER WORK AND MANUALS, including all service work!!! Bads: its 1400 miles away from me, it is in pieces, and the big one, my dad's guy put in new stringers, bulkhead and floor.........at too high of an elevation!!! When i tried setting the top down yesterday, it was obvious that the floor was too high. I improvised, and cut away the new floor, so that it would sit at the right elevation, but after we got the top fitted to the hull, the sides of the hull were 2 inches away from the line of the cap.. Is this normal? II didn't remove it, so I don't know. Any advice? i tried temporarily screwing the two pieces together, and don't know if its right, but still not sure. Long post! Sorry!!! Thanks!!!

biggsie
11-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Got any pics? Sounds like you mean the sides of the hull are too narrow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

northern86sunsport
11-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will take some today, and post them. Yes, it would seem that is the issue. But what could change? is it possible to have "shrunk" or "moved" while it sat for 3 years on the trailer? Am I doomed??? Ughhh!!!

haugy
11-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Yes, this is very common with backyard repairs. The hull can deflect over time if the hull is wider than the cap and wasn't braced properly from the start.

When you do these repairs you are supposed to brace the hull at the cut line from hull to top cap. You use wood spanning from one side to the other to help the boat maintain it's shape. Many times it's not done right and it only allows to prevent expansion. Then when new floors and resin are put in they don't realize that because of the new material that contraction can also occur and the wood braces aren't in place to prevent that as well. The new resin can actually pull together if the stringers were done loosely allowing that to happen. Also, depending on how the top cap was stored, it can sag and expand as well. It's basically a giant oval. When you look at it, that's all it is. If it's not brace properly and stored poorly it can also sag and expand over time.

Seeing how the floor is already at the wrong height, and the hull is not aligned, I think you might be in trouble. Definitely would help to see some pictures.

wotan2525
11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
I can't help much with the top-cap but that was the exact same way that mine sunk as well. It's a good lesson for new owners that don't take rotten stringers seriously.

northern86sunsport
11-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Although I feel I will still have some issues, I was able to get the top on, good enough to get it home. I have a feeling I will be starting over with most of what was done. It's sad really. But I know it will done right for sure now! I'm setting in the upholstery tomorrow, so we can get it shrink wrapped for the journey! I will keep checking in, and researching from all of you Supra geeks!! Thanks!!

DAFF
11-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Before you wrap it add a couple of big ratchet straps to the centre sections much like tying up a rump roast with string. This will add to the structural integrity for the ride home. Boats will flex a lot on the trailer and I would hate for it to come apart on the way home.

As for the rest of the boat, Haugy has the same thoughts as myself on the stringer fix. Take lots of picks of everything and perhaps a walk around video. If you have one lay a tape measure over the newly built stringers and document as much as possible wrt stringer placement and locations. With some basic measurements the guys around here will be able to sniff out the issues on the stringers so do not worry too much.

Good luck on the voyage home and don't forget anything for the boat in the south.

CornRickey
11-17-2013, 02:54 AM
I would tape something to the hull in front and windshield to protect them from rocks and road debris before shrink wrapping

northern86sunsport
11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks again for the advice! Besides shrink wrap, the boat is all ready to go. I am having problems uploading pics tho. I tried, and they were upside down, and backwards. Like i said, I am really new to the forum world, so help would be appreciated!!

haugy
11-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Oh man. Yeah that floor is WAY off. You know, I'm all for doing it myself, and normally push everyone to do the same. But it might be worth the $3500 to take that thing to a professional and have them do it properly.

The way I see it is you're going to have to gut it, get all the new stringers out. Then brace the boat's hull so the top cap aligns with the hull. Once you've braced it properly, then the floors can be rebuilt to those sizes.

I don't know how else you can fix that and not have issues down the road. Maybe someone else has some ideas.