PDA

View Full Version : Shaft failure part Deux

NoWake
11-19-2013, 11:43 AM
13583Yikes, luckily got in off the lake before sun went down! If my pics don't show up, they are a ditto of 92supracomp's shaft failure in September. A couple of exceptions though... We were in the water and lost the prop yesterday. Luckily not skiing, just enjoying the serenity of the lake with no one out there until "whomp" no forward power and the thought of being out there alone set in. Air temp 60, water upper 50's.

The shaft sheared on my 91 comp just behind the strut at the prop. No apparent damage to boat or rudder.
I'm going to need a shaft, prop and some recommendations. Do I replace the black seal on the strut (don't even know if it is necessary or possible)and do I upgrade the packing nut to a sealed system? Any prop rec's. I use the boat for slalom and barefoot. 351 ford PCM with power plus PCM tranny 1:1.23 wot4,400rpm cont cruise 3600, idle 650-700rpm. Really would like to hear from experience out there, thanks for your time.

Well, can't figure how to link pic... Will try on computer instead of this pad thing. Sorry first post... Any help here would be helpful also13584

92SupraComp
11-19-2013, 11:54 PM
From all the CC guys that talk about props (some have 3 or 4 just to have!) you should go with an Acme 1442 or Acme 2068. Call Delta Props, they are cheaper than skidim and have great help.

That shaft, do you have the large heat shrink coupling or the smaller taper coupling with castle nut behind the transmission? We had a new prop shaft made ($400!), but it was a local guy. I really like to support local business, keeps shipping out of the equation, the guy will actually be there for you to talk to, etc...

Any ways, you could go buy a OJ 14 X 16 prop, but it actually is just as much and sometimes MORE than an Acme CNC 3 blade prop!

92SupraComp
11-19-2013, 11:56 PM
oh, and for the strut bearing, replace it! They make ceramic placement that last much longer than the rubber ones. And for the packing, your choice, I don't mind having the packing drip into the bilge. Don;t really see a need for the drip-less but thats me...

NoWake
11-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Thanks 92SupraComp
Turns out it is tapered with a castle nut. Do you have the ACME 1442? Our "NEW" 2068 is in the bottom of the lake with the end of the shaft! Kinda makes a man want to take up scuba diving, even in this cold weather! Only skied the 2068 half a dozen times, at the best, thought the wakes were small but hard. Found it fairly difficult to get the couplers apart with the 22 years of wear. Are the strut bearings as equally hard to remove and replace? On the bright side...it will be easier to detail the bottom side with the shaft out of the way:cool:

NoWake
11-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Should have tried before asking... Strut bearings easiest part of the job so far. They walked right out after loosening set screws. Put the caliper on a impact socket and love tapped it with a rubber mallet...

92SupraComp
11-20-2013, 06:53 PM
bummer on the prop! our friends lost their prop on their 1965 Owens Excel, same failure as yours. In the following days a friend of theirs was scuba diving and hit a prop shaft! He pulled it up and showed it to our friends and well, its back on the boat. (though this happened many years ago...)

How did you like the 2068 vs the OJ 14 X 16?

NoWake
11-21-2013, 01:11 PM
I can't honestly give an accurate review on the 2068, only had a little over 9hrs on it. What a shame. In respect to wide open throttle, I could reach 4200rpms and 48-49 mph. Seemed to make for a fast idle but I liked that aspect. As far as slalom, wake seemed a little hard but I hadn't skied behind the oj prop since last fall.