PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing Q's

eyespyautomotive
11-25-2013, 02:25 PM
So I pretty much followed the winterizing instructiions on here where they applied but i have a few questions.

2000 Indmar Assault 350

- On the left side of the block there is a drain, i drained it. But on the right side of the motor there is a sensor in that spot on the block. Do i need to pull that or did i effectively drain the whole block from the drain on the left side. I poured RV antifreeze in all the front hoses and t-stat housing and it came out the left side drain. I closed the drain so it filled the block. So am i good to assume this filled the whole block? i am just concerned about the right side.

I drained the raw water pump
I drained the manifolds
I drained the hoses at the trans cooler
I pulled the ECM and blew out the speedo lines.
mufflers in the floor looked flow through with no drains.

I know this stuff is beaten to death but i couldnt find a writeup that dealt with my setup exactly.

Thanks for any help.

Wylietunes
11-25-2013, 04:02 PM
That is the knock sensor and it is the block drain for that side.

eyespyautomotive
11-25-2013, 04:20 PM
So you have to drain both sides to completely empty the block? Since i poured RV antifreeze in the top I assume i probably diluted it a bit but i should prob go back and drain that side out?

michael hunter
11-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Check out the Sticky post [ Winterizing Link-Best Post with Pics] it has the proper procedure for your engine.
Yes you do have to drain both sides of the engine, the exhaust manifolds , transmission cooler ,V drive , Pumps and muffler.
If you are not sure take it somewhere and have it done frost damage is very costly .

eyespyautomotive
11-25-2013, 10:25 PM
That is the link i was following, its just not exactly the same as mine, thats why im asking. They say to pull 2 plugs on the block, i have a drain and a sensor on the other side. I dont have v-drive, heaters or ballast. So ill go drain both sides out, i did fill it with RV antifreeze. Pretty sure my mufflers had no drains but ill look again. Feel pretty good i got all the rest.

Wylietunes
11-26-2013, 08:24 AM
So you have to drain both sides to completely empty the block? Since i poured RV antifreeze in the top I assume i probably diluted it a bit but i should prob go back and drain that side out?

Yes, the knock sensor is the block drain for that side of the block. Both brass pipe plug and the KS need to be pulled to completely drain both sides of the block. Yes, Marine/RV antifreeze is not its most effective when diluted.

michael hunter
11-26-2013, 08:29 AM
There are several videos on YouTube that cover winterizing your engine . Make sure you get it right .

docdrs
11-26-2013, 11:16 AM
Yes you have to drain both sides. When draining exhaust manifolds make sure both drain out either hose as it's possible for rust to plug up the drain fittings. If you don't drain or suck out the big j tube fill your block at the top of the j tube with antifreeze so any water in it is fully diluted with antifreeze. Pulling the speedo lines lets any water drain out the mdc unit. Some even remove the unit from the boat so any moisture in it doesn't freeze. A good thing as then you are sure to hook the speedo lines back up in the spring instead of having a fountain from them the first time out.

eyespyautomotive
11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, I pulled the mdc and put it in the house. Thanks all for the clarification. When i get to the boat tomorrow I will drain both sides. I will double check everything.