PDA

View Full Version : TN Dealer not wanting to do warranty work on a GA boat?!?

Momentum
10-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Hello all-
Just wondering if any one has had a similar problem. I recently purchased a new 06 20SSV in GA, but I live in TN. I had the boat winterized in TN at the Supra dealer. I also wanted a couple warranty issues looked at while it was there. They winterized it but said they could not do any warranty work b/c I did not purchase it from them. So let me get this right, a Supra dealer will not work on a Supra boat!!! Any suggestion??? Thanks

riveredge
10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm not sure if the same rules apply for all boat manufacturers, but for engines it seems to be: We are a Mercury/MerCruiser, Honda, and Volvo dealer (all marine), and for all of those companies we can actually get in trouble for not refusing warranty work for motors etc not purchased at our dealership. We are required in our agreement not to refuse such work. God knows how the company would know unless the customer reports it, but anyway... Depending on our agreement, and the level of our dealership (i.e. basic, certified, premier etc), we may be reimbursed at anywhere from 70% to 100% of our retail labor rate by the company. I don't know about the Supra dealer agreements, but I think you should be able to take your boat to any dealer for warranty. Cars work that way too, just for the record, at least in my experience.

Best of luck, and enjoy your boat... I'm about to put mine away for the winter up here in NH....

Jon
10-31-2006, 11:41 PM
By Supra's dealer code, the dealer in GA was not supposed to sell to you without making an arrangement with your local dealer. Now that the TN dealer knows about them selling to you, I'm sure the TN dealer will let Skiers Choice know about it and they will sort out that issue.

Out of good business practice, the TN dealer should do the work for you. Do they have to? No. It is all stated in the dealer code and your selling dealer in GA should have made you aware of this. If they didn't, I would make a complain to Skiers Choice myself, not about the TN dealer refusing service but the GA dealer for not telling you.

DKJBama92Mariah
01-12-2007, 04:12 PM
This seems to a very common practice among ski boat manufacturers. I think it is ridiculous. Supra should REALLY watch this because it sounds ALOT like a contract, combination, or conspiracy in restraint of trade under the Clayton Act and Sherman Antitrust Act. Division of markets is a per se violation.

Note: THIS IS NOT NOR SHOULD IT BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE.

DKJ