PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for sourcing engine rebuild kits

TitanTn
12-22-2013, 04:35 PM
I'm doing a rebuild this winter. More like a refresh. New rings, bearings, gaskets, and lifters. Anyone have a recommendation on where to get a gasket kit? Or a rebuild kit maybe? I've found some online, but they're either too much (new pistons, cam, oil pump, etc), or some really basic gasket set. Suggestions?

7.4L 454 PCM

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/engine_rebuild.jpg

Cusefan78
12-22-2013, 09:25 PM
I would look at summit or jegs. They would be way cheaper then going through a pcm dealer.

cadunkle
12-23-2013, 04:27 PM
Summit is my default choice, though for high dollar items I'll shop around, and specialty items there are certain places that are best. For freshening up a 454 or doing a mild performance build, Summit should have everything you need.

TitanTn
12-23-2013, 08:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not seeing the right package on the Summit site, so I'll just give them a call.

CornRickey
12-24-2013, 01:47 AM
did you look into Discount Inboard Marine?

TitanTn
12-24-2013, 10:57 AM
did you look into Discount Inboard Marine?

I looked at their web site and couldn't find anything.

CornRickey
12-25-2013, 02:09 AM
May be worth giving them a call. there very helpful.

Endo
12-26-2013, 11:43 AM
I was surprised by the machine shop that did my work. Priced parts through them and they were lower than summit and jegs with no shipping costs.

wotan2525
12-27-2013, 05:16 PM
No reason to really buy a kit -- just buy the individual sets and make your own. The only thing that really makes sense to buy as a set are the crank/bearings and the cam/lifters.

cadunkle
12-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Note that for raw water cooling I generally use marine gaskets for anything that touches water, such as head and intake gaskets. If not using marine, use care to determine there is raw steel in the gasket that coolant touches.

TitanTn
12-28-2013, 10:13 AM
May be worth giving them a call. there very helpful.

I agree. They are always very helpful and I've purchased a good many things through them. My thinking was that they wouldn't quite have the selection of someone like Summit, and they'd likely be a little bit higher.

I was surprised by the machine shop that did my work. Priced parts through them and they were lower than summit and jegs with no shipping costs.

That's a good thought. I'll definitely ask my machine shop. The only thing is I don't know if they're familiar with marine or not. Maybe they are and know exactly what to get.

No reason to really buy a kit -- just buy the individual sets and make your own. The only thing that really makes sense to buy as a set are the crank/bearings and the cam/lifters.

I agree. And no kit has just the parts I need, so I was looking to get something like a ring kit (comes with all the gaskets, rings, and bearings), and then add lifters. But it's no big deal if they don't have a kit, I just need the right parts.

Note that for raw water cooling I generally use marine gaskets for anything that touches water, such as head and intake gaskets. If not using marine, use care to determine there is raw steel in the gasket that coolant touches.

I'm intending to use marine gaskets. If I were just needing a pan gasket, or gaskets for the accessories, I'd just get automotive. From what I understand there is a difference between some of the intakes where some have rectangular ports and some have oval. I think that's my biggest thing to make sure I get the right set.

TitanTn
12-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Well, I just got in deeper. A couple of my pistons are shot, so I'm adding new pistons to the list. I was hoping to keep this just a refresh and the costs low, but I'll be putting in at least a new set of pistons too. I'm headed to the machine shop tomorrow.

CornRickey
12-29-2013, 09:08 PM
I highly recommend putting exhaust valves in it also