PDA

View Full Version : upohlstery labor cost

bens250ex
01-08-2014, 09:13 PM
trying to get an idea of what some of you guys have had to pay for getting seats redone. I have the vinyl so I will just be paying for labor. Im getting my driver seat, and lookout seat on my 87 supra comp redone. I have had two quotes from different guys one guy said 900 the other said 700. Im trying to figure out if this is high or normal? What have you guys had to pay?

James
01-08-2014, 11:15 PM
That seems pretty high for two seats. If you wanna get it done cheaper pull the seats out, pull all the staples out, and get a seam ripper and rip the seams out and then trace it out onto the vinyl you want, and cut it out. All they will have to do is sew it up for you. I couldn't imagine that being more than $200 at the absolute most. I'm currently doing my upholstery now and I spend the most time taking it apart and cutting out the new skins. Take A LOT of pictures so you don't forget anything and label the back of the skins. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

cadunkle
01-09-2014, 09:38 AM
I paid about $100 per cushion give or take $25 depending if simple like the drivers seat base or complex like the observer seat base or seat backs. One cushion defined as either a seat base or seat back, so a whole seat may be $200 +/- $50 depending on size and complexity. That was materials and labor.

kevkev
01-09-2014, 11:29 AM
I did everything but my drivers seat and bow filler cushion last year. Had 20 pieces total for $1,400.00. I too had bought my own skins so this was for labor to remove seats and panels, recover, and reinstall.

bens250ex
01-10-2014, 07:36 PM
i have the seats out of the boat, I did the dash myself and would do the others if I could sew. I felt 700 is high and 900 was a straight rip off for what they are. The only one that might be hard is the driver seat. I think I am going to keep looking around for someone reasonable. I have all the material just need it sewed up.

cadunkle
01-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Just a suggestion if you start your season early or push it late... While you have the upholstery off think about seat furnaces. I put one in my driver seat and it helps a lot in the cold weather. Eventually I'd like to do the observer seat as well so with a 3 man crew anyone not in the frigid water is getting warmed up from both the heater and the seat warmers.

bens250ex
01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Just a suggestion if you start your season early or push it late... While you have the upholstery off think about seat furnaces. I put one in my driver seat and it helps a lot in the cold weather. Eventually I'd like to do the observer seat as well so with a 3 man crew anyone not in the frigid water is getting warmed up from both the heater and the seat warmers.

That is a good idea!