PDA

View Full Version : It's January. Anybody skiing?

96Comp
01-09-2014, 09:31 PM
We're in Virginia. At Lake Anna there are two sides of the lake - the cold (coolant feed for the nuclear plant) and the hot side (discharge from the plant). On the cold side, the temp is about 44. At the hot side discharge, about 67. I wear a dry suit on both sides. More layers on the cold side, but still skiing. There's a course on the hot side and I have a portable for the cold. The hot side has no public access, so have to own property or know someone. I dont want to strain relationships, so I spend more time on the cold side with public access.

Anyone else still skiing? No personal bests on the course, but it's still fun!

SupraLaunch21V
01-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I tried my best to ski in Dec here in NC, but couldn't find a driver willing to give me a pull. The temps were good in Dec, but Jan really sunk our hopes to do some Polar Bear skiing. If there is a course on the hot side I'm sure there are those that have the same passion for the sport and would grant limited access, at least I would think. In NC as long as the ppl know you they don't mind giving you access to train, besides it always keeps the course maintained if everyone chips in. Hope you find a way in.

Since I travel to RIC quite a bit, I'm hoping to get up there and help you shred some glass. Just a few more mos I guess.

96Comp
01-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Launch 21 - sent you a PM. As for the private side, I really cant blame property owners for trying to keep the crowd down. I have a friend who lets me launch during the off season. He doesnt want to upset the neighbors. Dont blame him. Looking at property ourselves. With a built in water heater, the season never ends!

SupraLaunch21V
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
just wondering. . . if anyone has been able to get out on the water yet. Its been nearly six months since we've had a Saturday above 70 dang degrees. I think maybe tomorrow I will try to get out and get the boat wet even though the lake level is about 7' above the normal table.

Seriously, April can't come fast enough. Hope some of you get out on the water and get to swerve. I have a new Syndicate S2 that I need to try out. Happy Swervin Peeps!

96Comp
03-15-2014, 04:53 PM
I picked up an EZ Slalom compact course over the winter. If youre ever visiting Richmond and Lake Anna, shoot me a PW. Glad to find a cove and lay it out.

inair
03-15-2014, 05:21 PM
Unfortunately no boating/skiing here. Still to cold to get anyone including me interested! Next week I plan to get the boat out and de-winterized as a way of getting myself out of hibernation mode. I have been exercising though! Anyone else have a physical routine to get back into shape for skiing?

96Comp
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM
With at dry suit and thermals, 45 degree water and 55 degree days are pretty nice. Driver gets colder than the skier!

SupraLaunch21V
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
I went out this weekend for one quick run up the cove, just open skiing to try out a new ski. Water temp was 51 and air was 68 or so. Not so bad, but after a while my toes did get a little frigid. I only had a thin wet suit on, but hey, I had to get out there. @ 96 Comp, I set up my EZ Course with very little time, but it does help to have a few hands there.
I'm free through April so let me know what you're planning. Set up time should be about 2 hrs the first time. I can come up during the week or if you think the weekend would be okay I can do that too. HIt me up with a weekend that you're thinking about and we can iron out the details.