PDA

View Full Version : Can I surf with a dd??

masongardner
01-10-2014, 11:24 AM
Hello all. Quick and easy question. It is possible to get a dd boat surf able? I assume anything can be done. But can a direct drive boat make a surf wake without any crazy mods? I know lots of weight would be needed. Thanks!!

Jason

CornRickey
01-10-2014, 12:42 PM
the easiest ( use wise) and safest to use on the water is diy surf gates. Different hulls perform differently so that is a open ended element to the question. dd's only mean that the weight needed and its distribution will be different than a vd.
That being said most same hull vd's will be weighed differently also but not to the level of dd's.

My recommendation is if you already have the boat make some gates, get them performing then add weight. If you don't have the boat then all you can do is internet research and try to find someone who had already driven down that road.

As for a answer.... I wouldn't surf my 86 SN due to the weight needed and how low it sat in the water. I surf my Supra vd all day long and I know the guys with the same year dd's do also but they carry more weight ( most guys with the same boat carry more weight also due to not using gates).

masongardner
01-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Ok. Great answer. Thanks. I am looking at a BEAUTIFUL aztec dd boat, 2001. Or an older , 1991 malibu. The aztec is Georgia but didn't know if I would be able to surf with it. The supra I originally was going to snag is gone. :(

James
01-10-2014, 11:03 PM
You can absolutely surf with a dd. Stay away from boats with low freeboard if you plan on adding some weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

masongardner
01-11-2014, 10:13 PM
YYYAAAAA buddy! I just need some encouragement. I am going to surf with this boat. And everyone who says I cant or I shouldnt have bought this boat, well... Im gonna have some great pics and videos. ;)

But really, I appreciate all the advice!!

Ptownkid
01-12-2014, 01:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KaaqMV6_As

tracetrimble
01-13-2014, 11:21 PM
Ok. Great answer. Thanks. I am looking at a BEAUTIFUL aztec dd boat, 2001. Or an older , 1991 malibu. The aztec is Georgia but didn't know if I would be able to surf with it. The supra I originally was going to snag is gone. :(

I am old school and don't recall any of the Aztec models having enough freeboard for serious weighting / surfing.