PDA

View Full Version : Not my Supra but my other boat, Alaska Fish Wars on NatGeoWild tonight!

5akman
01-13-2014, 06:34 PM
My Pirata V drive project that I've posted about is still on hold due to some staggering doctor bills incured while dealing with my wife's breast cancer. :(

I did want to give an alert to my other job and my "other boat" which is a 40' commercial gillnetter that I run out of Kenai AK.

We changed fisheries from a shore based gillnet fishery to an offshore "drift gillnet" operation this last year. I opted to hire a skipper to run the boat for me while my son, his buddy and myself acted as "crew" on our own boat and learned the ropes without damage to life or limb!

I had bought an older 40' boat and had replaced everything, engine/trans/fuel tanks/electronics/3 station steering-engine controls/hydraulics etc and didn't get to try any of it before the producers said "get it in the water, now!" As expected, we had some new component issues that will be empasized!

Six episodes beginning tonight on Alaska Fish Wars on NatGeoWild, 7pm pacific time. For those who watched the show last year, returning skippers/boats are Gavin on the North Crow, Wes on the Night's Edge and then two new boats, Taylor on the Nedra E and my boat the Night Hawk and hired skipper Dino.

I'll be doing an after episode review each night on our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/#!/fvnighthawk

Lance Alldrin
Alldrin & Sons Alaska Salmon
Chico CA/Kenai AK
FV Night Hawk
https://www.facebook.com/#!/AlaskaFishWars

Diggs
01-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Very cool!!!

cigars n scotch
01-14-2014, 04:25 PM
That is very cool!

kevkev
01-20-2014, 11:13 PM
So were you really having a tough time getting the salmon out of the net or is that mostly editing? Looks pretty awesome up there.

5akman
01-21-2014, 12:32 AM
I've commercial fished for 9 yrs now so picking the fish out is not a big deal. It was Andrews first season and my son Luke's 4th season. Every so often you get a fish that has gone through the net, turned around and back through again. It takes some time, especially if you don't want to "break a bar" where you actually break one side of the 5 1/4" diamond. Naturally, the difficult fish is the shot they edit into the program! :)