PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About A Boat Upgrade

TxsRiverRat
01-31-2014, 06:50 PM
I own a 93 MC Prostar, and am looking to upgrade to a fully restored 95 Supra Comp TS6M with alot of nice extras - stereo, tower, ballast, etc.

We primarily slalom, so I need opinions on the boats...

Which boat do you think looks better>

Which boat skis better?

Tracking?

Reliability?

Known issues...?

Is this a better boat and why?

Thanks

Mikeg205
01-31-2014, 07:12 PM
I own a 93 MC Prostar, and am looking to upgrade to a fully restored 95 Supra Comp TS6M with alot of nice extras - stereo, tower, ballast, etc.

We primarily slalom, so I need opinions on the boats...

Which boat do you think looks better>

Which boat skis better?

Tracking?

Reliability?

Known issues...?

Is this a better boat and why?

Thanks

Hey Rat - you may no like the tower if you ski primarily... does the one your thinking about have a ski rack?

michael hunter
02-01-2014, 11:33 AM
Not a fan of towers on comps . That said the Supra comp is the sexiest ski boat ever made. The evolution from 84 got better every year . 92and up were the best with the composite construction and the extra width of the hull . I'm not formulator with the MC pulling and tracking but I think you will find the comp to be equal to if not better than the MC. Test drive them both and make your own judgment. The only thing I would watch for is if it has PRO TEC ignition. They don't make the parts for them anymore its a 600.00 conversion if it has problems. As for me I wound definitely make the upgrade.

92SupraComp
02-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Well to convert from the Protec (which is still working great for us) Its only $350 to go to an all in one digital DUI distributor which many CC guys are using and love...

And, our friends 1985 MC Stars & Strips with the 230 HP 351W and 1.52:1 Power Slot vs our 285 HP with 1.23:1 its neck and neck.

But, your looking at 1995, which will be 310 HP with the GT40 EFI engine, ummm, this is even riskier than the HO with Protec, because at this age many CC guys are starting to run into problems with their beloved and very well cared GT40 motors, senors are starting to bad, fuel pumps are burning up, (all expensive to replace) and the worst is the ECU. PCM took Ford's ECU and remapped portions of it to their own spec so parts would be proprietary to them. They haven't made these ECU's for years and only used ones are available for top dollar. They coded their mapping and they refuse to release it for replacement ECU's to be made... So the fix is to convert back to carb or another efi system... ( new manifold, fuel pump, hoses, sensors, etc)

The Gt40 is just like the HO with Protec, when all the components of the early digital GT40 are working, they work great. When the Holley 4010 and the Protec are working right on our Comp, they work great, high performance and doesn't miss a beat, however, once in a while either the aging protec or the extremely finicky 4010 will start to have a problem and the fun goes away. With the 4010, lately it has been the stupid ethanol eating the o-rings for the needle and seats which floods the motor and last year the primary plastic float got eaten through its seem (fixed with jb weld :D ). If the pro tec acts up, nothing else to do but go home and let it cool and the next day its fine...

Hope this might give a little in site...

Hagman
02-05-2014, 01:51 AM
Last year I changed my Comp to EFI using GT40 parts, wow what a big step up in power. I would have no problem going with the EFI GT40. All of the parts are easy to find at a fare price with a little looking on the net. Even the ECU but that will hurt a little $600. The benefits are 300 + HP, instant starting all of the time, good fuel economy, cleaner running , always fast out of the hole, the EFI runs grate from sea level all the way up to a high mountain lake & you can say I have a gt40 under the dog house. The 95 was a good year for a comp and the EFI GT40 was one of the best trouble free motors ever. But that’s just me.

92SupraComp
02-05-2014, 10:02 AM
You can easily go to Edelbrock EFI or MSD EFI that is proven and very up to date. The crab style TBI efi from Edelbrock or MSD is around $2K for the MPI from Edelbrock its $3.5K. But all you have to do is change the intake manifold for the MPI and nothing for the 2 TBI systems... Good luck with your GT40, I think that was a bold move, but enjoy the power!