PDA

View Full Version : New-to-me old comp boat. Questions about wakeplates and booms.

Rudebob
02-13-2014, 10:38 AM
So at the end of last summer I bought a 92 TS6M which has been a project I have been working on the last few months to use this year. For the most part it is now mechanically and cosmetically ready for fun except for a few minor adjustments and figuring out what to do the disaster of a neglected dash. I had it on the water last weekend and it is supposed to be close to 90 this weekend so spring skiing is around the corner. At first, with so many unexpected problems I encountered, in addition to the known negative issues with the boat, I was developing a bad vibe and considering selling it to look for something else. However, once I had it on the water last week I found this boat to be very solid and a good runner which has given me a renewed excitement to keep keep it and enjoy it. So for the first time I am actually thinking about how playing with it rather than what to work on next which go me thinking about this wakeplate thingy.

Although this is my fourth comp boat this is my first with a wakeplate. I was wondering how much difference, if any, does the plate have on trimming the wake? Is there a default adjustments that I should consider for the best wake or just not mess with it? I want the best slalom wake.

Also, I am not sure what the point of the angled pylon is all about on these boats but I will be in the market for a barefoot boom sometime and was wondering how this pylon setup will work for different boom configurations (straight vs. angled, etc.) Is there a brand/style I should look for or avoid?

Thanks for any input.

'bob

92SupraComp
02-14-2014, 02:50 PM
You will enjoy the 92 comp. Good thing you have a 92 because its all composite. No rot :) The wake plate can only be adjusted minutely. It should be level with the hull of the boat for skiing and then end of it can raised to i think 1/8" or 1/4" up for trick ski... Ours is level and has been for many years. Never had it off.

The boom, check its base. I am unlucky because the mount for the boom is rusting on mine and I have to take it out and reinforce it.

Take a pic of the dash, lets see how bad it is.

And also, the motor. Take a couple pics. Does it still have the large "muffler" on the back of the motor? Does it still have the Protec ignition? Does is it still have the Holley 4010 carb?