PDA

View Full Version : Stiff Steering

HarryM
02-19-2014, 12:13 PM
Anybody encounter excessive stiffness in the steering of an 89 Bravura. The dash is so compact that the cable has two very tight bends under the dash . I'm tempted to remove the three helm mounting screws and rotate the helm to get rid of one of the bends. Not sure if there's enough room for that move or if it will make a difference. This is the only real complaint I have about this rig. Its so tight under there , that the tach is touching the back of the steering gear. Any ideas ?

Cusefan78
02-19-2014, 05:02 PM
The cable might be bad. I changed mine last summer made a huge difference

cadunkle
02-23-2014, 05:09 PM
That may help, but you've likely either got a dirty or worn cable or a worn rudder or port causing added resistance to steering. I'd plan on a cable replacement if it hasn't been done in the past few years. Disconnect it at the rudder to determine if it's the cable or rudder assembly.

HarryM
02-24-2014, 08:24 AM
I suspect you're right , but its a bitch of a job . Looks like I have to remove the fuel tank to get to the rudder .... ah well , lots of time left before the lake unfreezes :)

cadunkle
02-24-2014, 09:22 AM
Not sure on a Bravura but on my Saltare I can squeeze myself under the floor far enough to adjust the rudder packing nut. It's not pleasant, it hurts, it takes a bit the squeeze in, and you don't want to forget a tool once you've managed to get within reach... but it's possible. Pulling the tank certainly would be a lot easier for access.

Cusefan78
02-24-2014, 03:09 PM
On my labrisa I was able to reach under the tank and remove the nut that holds the cable to the rudder. Make sure you tie a string on the cable to so you can pull it back into place. Removing it from the helm I think is the toughest squeeze. Also it helps if you to have someone feeding the new cable as someone pulls the string.