PDA

View Full Version : Lake Cumberland Houseboat Trip

ts6mnewbie
02-20-2014, 11:21 AM
We have planned a 3 family houseboat vacation for late July on Lake Cumberland. Having never been there, or on a houseboat for that matter, I was wondering if any of you had any advice.

The Facts

Boat is from State Dock Marina
Late July during the week Sunday-Thursday
Only one skiing family but I'm sure we'll take others out to tube or try skiing

The Questions

Anything, not obvious, that we should bring with us ?
- We have about a ten hour drive to get there.
Where to go ? Where not to go ?
We have a comp. Is it too small for this lake ?
-I'm hoping, by going during the week, it won't be too bad.
That's all I can think of right now. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,Ken

CornRickey
02-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Tools, spare parts, gas cans and a plan for refueling and ice. Collect watches and cell phones as people board. I have no experience with that lake or boats but some with house boat vacations

Sharpie525
02-20-2014, 02:37 PM
We did a trip on Cumberland two years ago and had a blast. A couple things we brought besides the normal stuff was kayaks (if you have access to any), 10 person inflatable raft to hang out in the water on, fishing gear, games/books (something to do in case of bad weather)

Also the part of the lake we were on was in a dry county(not sure if whole lake is or not) so bring enough alcohol with before you get into town.

We will be on the "black pearl" on Dale Hallow this year, the week of 4th of July!

sharpshooter
02-20-2014, 05:26 PM
Plenty of toilet paper and bags to put it in, Walmart sacks work great, and if you plan on taking extra fuel, hide it and don't let them see you put it on the houseboat, most marinas do not allow fuel cans on their boats

2013 Moomba LSV

sharpshooter
02-20-2014, 05:30 PM
We did a trip on Cumberland two years ago and had a blast. A couple things we brought besides the normal stuff was kayaks (if you have access to any), 10 person inflatable raft to hang out in the water on, fishing gear, games/books (something to do in case of bad weather)

Also the part of the lake we were on was in a dry county(not sure if whole lake is or not) so bring enough alcohol with before you get into town.

We will be on the "black pearl" on Dale Hallow this year, the week of 4th of July!

You will enjoy the Black Pearl, we've been out on it the past two years

2013 Moomba LSV

sharpshooter
02-21-2014, 12:58 AM
Oh, and if you've never driven an 80 foot houseboat you not going to enjoy the 12 mile narrow twisting drive from east port marina to big water

2013 Moomba LSV

ts6mnewbie
02-26-2014, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the info ! I appreciate it.

jzelt
03-03-2014, 02:25 PM
Take at least 4 large bumpers/fenders with you and leave them tied to the houseboat railing so all you have to do is idle up and tie off.
We tie our ski boat up at night to the side with the bow of the ski boat facing away from shore, a line running from the slalom tow eye to a railing off the back, one to each of the port cleats and one to the bow.
Tie the houseboat up on shore with the stern of the houseboat slightly toward the line being tied first, then turn the stern up straight toward the other line to make them good and tight.
We also take a tow rope and tow the ski boat (from the bow eye) behind the houseboat when motoring down the lake. Give yourself enough time to slowly idle down so you don't slam your towed boat.

Lots of life jackets for floating and sunscreen.

Tons of fun.