PDA

View Full Version : SA350 or SC350?

SuperchargedC6
02-20-2014, 11:07 PM
Hey guys, new member here. I currently have a malibu and I'm really leaning toward trading it in on one of the new supras. I know these are new models so the reviews will be few, but anyone have any experience with these boats? Also, how is the reliability with supra? I've had great luck with my malibu. My main reason for the switch is the rough water ride of the supra. My malibu beats us up on choppy days!

Thanks!

kevkev
02-21-2014, 09:49 AM
I have not had the chance to ride in either of them. But I did cruise through both at the boat show and for me I would pick the SC. Mainly because I am not a huge fan of the bow on the SA and I really liked the way everything was laid out in the SC. The SC had tons of storage space mainly due to how high the freeboard is. Rinkers is having an open house tomorrow, it would be a good time to go and check them out if you haven't already.

Ptownkid
02-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Easiest thing to do would be to buy both, then give me the one you like least!

wasdblak
02-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Out of the SA and SC the SC will handle the best in rough water.

MJHKnox
02-21-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm waiting for the demo ride when the weather gets warmer. The SA appears to sit lower in the water. It looks like it would be a lot easier to take a wave/wake over the bow. The SC appears to sit higher.

From what I hear, they 'track' very well in turns - both models.

The SA has more bow room. The SC appears a lot smaller than my 22' SSV.

Both appear to have nice standard upgrades from earlier models - snap in cockpit carpet in the main area, Roswell tower is very tight/does not rattle, drivers seat is setup nice/nice features, controls & switches are a good layout, Jabsco Pumps (3), plumbing is done well, good storage - lots of storage, cooler, trash can.

I could do w/o the Polk Audio. The tower speakers swivel - that was nice.

According to my local dealer, the new surf system was not standard, but was free at the boat show.

I would add 750# sacs to the back lockers. I think 400# are standard. This boat had 400#s. Comes with lots of weight - hard tanks and ballast bags that sit on top of them. Looks high enough for 1100#s.

I would also add LEDs to the back - under the surf platform. The boat I was on today did not have them. It had the LED lights in the cockpit and cup holders area to match the boat color.

One item I did not understand. On the back seats - there were 3 pads to sit on. The left and right pad could be lifted and removed. The center pad (over the transmission) had HINGES on the pad - one on each side. You could not lift and remove that seat pad. It rotated forward. Does anyone know why you would want a seat with a hinge?

Mark

SuperchargedC6
02-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm gonna try and go check them out tomorrow.

BigSurfer
02-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I bought an SA 350 last year. We specifically demoed it on a rough day. I did not get water over the bow. I have 4 large sons who all sit in the bow and I find the SA allows me to have the bow full of kids or friends and still a ton of room in the back for everyone else. In my 20 hours on the boat so far, I have only gotten water in the front once. That happened with 5 people in front and too tight of a turn around after a surfer went down. If I had the swell, that would not have been possible. Also, 5 in front when you want weight in the back isn't how you would normally ride anyway.

The SC is great also. I prefer the SA because it does has lower side walls so the ride on the lake is just incredible it just feels fast. It tracks amazing. I am a very large guy and it kicks out an awesome wake for me.

I went for the worlds edition and added some extras. I am a huge fan of the strobe light underwater and heater. I consider them must haves for fun.

MJHKnox
02-22-2014, 11:20 PM
I bought an SA 350 last year. We specifically demoed it on a rough day. I did not get water over the bow. I have 4 large sons who all sit in the bow and I find the SA allows me to have the bow full of kids or friends and still a ton of room in the back for everyone else. In my 20 hours on the boat so far, I have only gotten water in the front once. That happened with 5 people in front and too tight of a turn around after a surfer went down. If I had the swell, that would not have been possible. Also, 5 in front when you want weight in the back isn't how you would normally ride anyway.

The SC is great also. I prefer the SA because it does has lower side walls so the ride on the lake is just incredible it just feels fast. It tracks amazing. I am a very large guy and it kicks out an awesome wake for me.

I went for the worlds edition and added some extras. I am a huge fan of the strobe light underwater and heater. I consider them must haves for fun.

My comment is just going from the videos. I have not been on one. There was a world's edition boat in the same cove at the end of the summer.

It appears to sit low. I'm guessing there is a bunch of weight here

Aaron187
02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
Just curious, why would you not be considering the new Malibu 23? I seen it at the boat show yesterday and I was impressed. Plus it was going for under $100k, I was shocked that is lower than a Supra. I think all the newer boats are going to the deaper v for better ride in choppy water. FYI - By no means I am dissing on neither Supra boat you are considering, I am sure they are great boats!

SuperchargedC6
02-24-2014, 05:30 PM
Just curious, why would you not be considering the new Malibu 23? I seen it at the boat show yesterday and I was impressed. Plus it was going for under $100k, I was shocked that is lower than a Supra. I think all the newer boats are going to the deaper v for better ride in choppy water. FYI - By no means I am dissing on neither Supra boat you are considering, I am sure they are great boats!

The new LSV is very nice, but I like the Supra a little better for a few reasons.
-In the SC we demo'd it felt very deep and handled the chop remarkably. With the trim plate I was able to adjust the trim to get the ride just right in the chop. In the malibu you have to fill ballast to do that.

-I love that the supra's have redundant switches for every function on the boat. I don't like relying on only touch screens for everything.

-The supra dealer has been great and I feel that we are getting a much better deal on the supra. The dealer is also much closer to my house, so if I need to drop it off, its not a big deal.

-Most of all....The wife liked the Supra way more. Decision made!

kevkev
02-24-2014, 10:16 PM
The new LSV is very nice, but I like the Supra a little better for a few reasons.
-In the SC we demo'd it felt very deep and handled the chop remarkably. With the trim plate I was able to adjust the trim to get the ride just right in the chop. In the malibu you have to fill ballast to do that.

-I love that the supra's have redundant switches for every function on the boat. I don't like relying on only touch screens for everything.

-The supra dealer has been great and I feel that we are getting a much better deal on the supra. The dealer is also much closer to my house, so if I need to drop it off, its not a big deal.

-Most of all....The wife liked the Supra way more. Decision made!

Well there is a rule around here. If you bought one, we must see pics :) Oh and don't forget to show up to the Supra / Moomba jam in June.

SuperchargedC6
02-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Haven't bought one yet. Hopefully by this weekend. I will posting plenty of pics!

wasdblak
02-25-2014, 02:29 AM
What did you end up deciding on, the SA or the SC?

02-26-2014, 01:07 PM
I currently have a 2011 Supra Launch 22SSV and have had nothing but great things to say about it. I have been thinking about trading in on a new boat and I have been asking myself the same question. A large part of what we do when boating is surfing and the lake we use is generally choppy. After a lot of research and testing both, I decided to order the SC450 with the Supra Swell Surf System. We really liked the wakeboard wake on the SA and we found it cornered marginally better in calm water but the surf wake on the SC is unbelievable and in choppy water there was no comparison, it took the waves and the surfer didn't even know we were hitting anything. As for looks, it all depends on your taste. My wife likes the look of a traditional bow boat and absolutely hates the "batwing", as she calls it. The SA definitely has more room in the bow but I like the depth of the SC. It's like asking yourself if you prefer muscle cars (SC) or sports cars (SA).

The dealership we use has sold the highest number of Mastercraft boats in the world for two years running, and when you walk in the door you are quickly made aware of that fact with all employees wearing Mastercraft apparel. All of them went to Tennessee last month to test and compare several boats including the Mastercraft X-10 & X-30, Supra SA450 & SC450, Malibu LSV, and a few others by Tige, Moomba, Centurion, etc. While all were expecting MC and Malibu to blow away the competition, they all came back touting Supra. One guy has been driving and owning Mastercrafts for 20 years and had ordered a new X30 before he left for the trip. When he got back he tried to cancel his order and change it to the SC450 but it was too late. The swell surf system was above and beyond anything they have ever experienced. Mastercraft is now studying the system to try and implement changes in their Gen 3 system.

All things considered, we went with the SC because my wife likes the traditional bow and my kids and I are hooked on surfing. Either is a great choice! Here is a pic of the boat we have ordered.1374313744

jkaser1965
02-26-2014, 10:30 PM
That green SC is going to be awesome. I have a 13 SA and just traded it in for a 14 SA with the swell system. My wife and I hang out in the bow when we get a chance to relax so we picked the SA. Great to hear the feedback on surf swell. Can't wait to get our 14!

MJHKnox
02-26-2014, 11:59 PM
That green SC is going to be awesome. I have a 13 SA and just traded it in for a 14 SA with the swell system. My wife and I hang out in the bow when we get a chance to relax so we picked the SA. Great to hear the feedback on surf swell. Can't wait to get our 14!

The Knoxville TN dealer had a boat like yours for the boat show - SC - orange/black.
It had the black sides instead of the grey. Orange/Black looked great. Orange LEDs on the inside.

Mark

Supraboy
02-27-2014, 04:52 PM
That SA is very nice! Did you opt for the Lead Flex Ballast? That SA is very intimidating coming across the water! Also, you kinda feel like a bada$$ driving it because of all the looks you get. It's awesome. If my wife was easily persuaded I would have had the SA last year. Probably my favorite thing about the SA over the SC is the transom area. They definitely did it right with the SA. I don't know why they didn't copy it on the SC.

jkaser1965
02-27-2014, 11:39 PM
Yes, I ordered the SA with the additional ballast. I also ordered the 450. I had the 350 in my '13 but decided to go with the 450 in the '14. Tough sell with my better half when we never lacked power with the 350 :)

jkaser1965
02-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Thanks! Not sure how or if I can get orange LED's.

Mobius22
02-28-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm sure your dealer can install them. It comes with blue ones from the factory.

Supraboy
03-02-2014, 06:53 PM
Is there a noticeable difference between the 350 and the 450?

jkaser1965
03-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Supraboy,

I sure hope there is a big difference between the 350 and 450! I had a '13 SA 350 and have ordered an SA 450. I was always happy with the power of the 350 but decided to get the 450 as I plan to surf with more ballast with the surf swell system. Also, a friend has driven both and said he couldn't wipe the grin from his face after driving the 450. He said it was a completely different boat and it was a blast to drive.

I really struggled over spending the money for the 450 but decided it was not a huge percentage increase over the 350. All the reviews I read said to get the 450.

pcpowder
03-03-2014, 12:02 AM
You will love your Supra no matter which one you get. I spent 5 Days in Lake Powell last summer on a SA 550 and it was an awesome boat. The wave was awesome and the boat handled incredibly and that was before the swell system.

I rode behind the a SC 450 last fall and was blown out of the water. I am still a big skier and i couldn't believe the wake was smaller and flatter and better to ski behind than my 2011 Supra launch 21V. I surfed and wakeboarded behind it as well and the wave was big and clean.

I have owned Centurians and Master crafts and they have all sucked compared to Supra. This will be my third Supra and i have been impressed with all of them. I put about 175 hours a year on my boats and haven't had to do much more than regular service.

Supraboy
03-03-2014, 10:32 AM
OK, now I'm jealous! 175hrs a year? Here in northern Canada I am able to get between 40 and 50 hours on our boat and that's pushing it! I agree with what you said about the other two boats. The Centurion kicked up a nice wake but doesn't handle worth a damn and the fit &finish wasn't there. MC, IMO, is overhyped. They have some of, if not the best fit, finishing and features in the business but when it comes to driving the boat I prefer my Supra every day of the week. My friend has a 2011 X2 and we frequently use each others boats for surfing. When I'm driving his I find myself wanting to get back in mine, and last summer he actually admitted to me that he would prefer to drive my 22SSV over his X2.

pcpowder
03-03-2014, 10:03 PM
OK, now I'm jealous! 175hrs a year? Here in northern Canada I am able to get between 40 and 50 hours on our boat and that's pushing it! I agree with what you said about the other two boats. The Centurion kicked up a nice wake but doesn't handle worth a damn and the fit &finish wasn't there. MC, IMO, is overhyped. They have some of, if not the best fit, finishing and features in the business but when it comes to driving the boat I prefer my Supra every day of the week. My friend has a 2011 X2 and we frequently use each others boats for surfing. When I'm driving his I find myself wanting to get back in mine, and last summer he actually admitted to me that he would prefer to drive my 22SSV over his X2.

MC, Overhyped for sure! Realizing that my MC I had was a 2004 X-2 I was most disappointed in how that "fit and Finish" held up. I was so excited to finally own a MC as i thought i was getting the Porsche of boats, I was wrong!

MJHKnox
03-04-2014, 09:44 PM
Supraboy,

I sure hope there is a big difference between the 350 and 450! I had a '13 SA 350 and have ordered an SA 450. I was always happy with the power of the 350 but decided to get the 450 as I plan to surf with more ballast with the surf swell system. Also, a friend has driven both and said he couldn't wipe the grin from his face after driving the 450. He said it was a completely different boat and it was a blast to drive.

I really struggled over spending the money for the 450 but decided it was not a huge percentage increase over the 350. All the reviews I read said to get the 450.

Do you know what prop option is used for the 450? Is there a standard and upgrade?
Just curious, I'm sure that is a big part of the equation.

Mark

jkaser1965
03-04-2014, 11:09 PM
Mark,

There are several prop options. I'm told that almost everyone is putting the ACME 1235 prop on the 450. That is an additional cost option. I'm not sure what the standard prop is.

JK

nelson5150
03-05-2014, 09:47 PM
You can't go wrong with either the SA or the SC. We have a 2013 SA450 White/Silver Worlds we just traded for a 2014 SA450 White/Black Worlds that will be manufactured the middle of April. Dan Miller and Supra have been truly wonderful to deal with. They are very responsive to emails and phone calls. The fit and finish on these boats are at the very top of the scale. These boats handle like non other on the water in their class. I do like the higher freeboard on the SC but love the large bow on the SA. We are on a lake with huge cruisers and do not have any problem handling the rollers on the lake. Great choice, Great Boat.

nelson5150
03-05-2014, 09:56 PM
One of the things that you hear on the forums are that the Supra is higher priced than the competing Malibu. If you option the Malibu with all the same features that are standard on the Supra the Malibu is higher priced. We were looking at a 22 MXZ and the SA450. The MXZ optioned the same as the Supra was $3,000 higher.

SuperchargedC6
03-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Well thanks guys for all opinions on theses boats. Looks like you really can't go wrong with either. My wife was really sold with the deep freeboard of the SC350, so we went with that. She never liked the Malibu we had so her actually liking this one is a major plus. I should be picking it up next week sometime and I'll post some pics.

kevkev
03-06-2014, 10:50 AM
Well thanks guys for all opinions on theses boats. Looks like you really can't go wrong with either. My wife was really sold with the deep freeboard of the SC350, so we went with that. She never liked the Malibu we had so her actually liking this one is a major plus. I should be picking it up next week sometime and I'll post some pics.

So what you're saying is you will be at the Supra/Moomba Jam?

Mobius22
03-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Congrats!!! Welcome to the fam :)

Supraboy
03-06-2014, 06:39 PM
What is this supra/moomba jam? Sounds interesting! Congrats on the boat!!

kevkev
03-06-2014, 06:48 PM
What is this supra/moomba jam? Sounds interesting! Congrats on the boat!!

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?15936-2014-Texas-Moomba-Supra-Jam
http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?23618-2014-moomba-supra-texas-jam!-June-27-29-2014

It is a gathering of SC boat owners and a few non SC boat owners that get together every year here in Texas for a weekend of fun. Last year I believe there were around 130 people who attended. I could be wrong on the number since I was unable to make it last year due to my son being born a few weeks early :). I don't know that we have ever had anyone make it from Canada, you should come check it out!

rdlangston13
03-08-2014, 10:15 PM
That sounds about right Kevin, we have some new stuff this year and new sponsors participating. It's going to be a blast!

Sent from my iPhone

Supraboy
03-10-2014, 02:18 PM
Sounds like a blast! I'm gonna have to see what they wife has to say, but she's in Texas a lot for work.

Tims
03-15-2014, 05:08 AM

Made similar choice to you. Sold my 2012 Malibu VLX and was considering a new 23LSV, but after driving and comparing features with the SC450, ended up ordering the Supra. Should be on the lake by late April!!!!! When optioned up, the Malibu was actually more money, and from my perspective, fit and finish on the Supra is better.

SuperchargedC6
03-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Just picked up the new SC. :D

kevkev
03-18-2014, 05:00 PM
Looks awesome. Congrats on the new toy!

kevkev
03-18-2014, 05:56 PM
Just picked up the new SC. :D

I just saw you pulling your boat @ cypresswood & Cutten :) I wasn't sure what you were doing since there are no lakes in the direction you were heading.

SuperchargedC6
03-18-2014, 06:10 PM
Haha that's awesome! I picked the boat up on my lunch break so I'm just one getting home.

MJHKnox
03-18-2014, 08:46 PM
I just saw you pulling your boat @ cypresswood & Cutten :) I wasn't sure what you were doing since there are no lakes in the direction you were heading.

Wow. What a small world.

I do the same all all wake-boats and hot rods. My head is always turning.

M-

TinMan
03-19-2014, 12:26 AM
Haha that's awesome! I picked the boat up on my lunch break so I'm just one getting home.

Congrats on your new SC. We picked up our new SC two weeks ago after waiting over a month for it to be built. I'm sure you and I will cross paths on the water one day. Nice rig man...

SuperchargedC6
03-19-2014, 08:40 AM
Congrats on your new SC. We picked up our new SC two weeks ago after waiting over a month for it to be built. I'm sure you and I will cross paths on the water one day. Nice rig man...

Thanks! Hope to see you guys out there, we always enjoy meeting people out on the water!

TinMan
03-19-2014, 02:40 PM
Ahh, It's all coming together now. I'm taking it you were the one who saw the SC at the Walmart and traded the Bu in. I did the same... Traded my 08 Wakesetter for the new SC.

SuperchargedC6
03-19-2014, 03:31 PM
Yep, that was me. I actually demo'd the SC right after we demo'd the malibu and axis. It was all over after that.

Tims
03-19-2014, 06:49 PM
I think a lot more of that will be going on as people realize how well the SA/SC competes with the LSV/MXZ. One drive in the SC had me selling my VLX.

Mobius22
03-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Congrats on the SC! That is a sick boat!!

Supraboy
03-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Congrats! Beauty of a boat! Any other pics?

SuperchargedC6
03-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Thanks guys! I havent had a chance to take any pics. We are going out tomorrow and I'm gonna try to take some.

TinMan
03-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Yep, that was me. I actually demo'd the SC right after we demo'd the malibu and axis. It was all over after that.

Lol, You did the same thing as I did. I demoed the VLX and hands down the SC blew the Malibu out of the water. Where do you ride at?

SuperchargedC6
03-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Lol, You did the same thing as I did. I demoed the VLX and hands down the SC blew the Malibu out of the water. Where do you ride at?

We usually go to conroe. If we go to board, we go out early before it gets too rough. After that, the non-boarding people show up and we just hit up one of the party spots and chill.

dancinbear
03-20-2014, 04:46 PM
I have driven and surfed behind a SA550 and SC450. I actually ordered a SC550, and am selling my 2011 Launch 22. I will tell you both boats are great. I liked how they redesigned the bow of the SC so that you do not take dip the bow when loaded down. Also, it is very roomy inside. The SA has a much larger bow seat area. BUY IT!

Mobius22
03-21-2014, 10:18 AM
SC550!? Go big or go home! Ha. When is yours gonna be finished?

MJHKnox
03-21-2014, 10:53 PM
SC550!? Go big or go home! Ha. When is yours gonna be finished?

Any boats sell at the show?? I was there on Friday night. That 2014 SC450 was pretty decked-out.

Mark

Mobius22
03-22-2014, 04:12 PM
Any boats sell at the show?? I was there on Friday night. That 2014 SC450 was pretty decked-out.

Mark

I was there on Friday, guess I missed you. It was a great show actually, tons of traffic and we met our goals which is all we can hope for. Yeah that SC450 is the demo boat and it is pretty crazy with the stereo he has in it.

rdlangston13
03-23-2014, 05:53 AM
I am excited to see some people in their new SCs and SAs at the Texas Jam this June!

Sent from my iPhone

kevkev
03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Thanks guys! I havent had a chance to take any pics. We are going out tomorrow and I'm gonna try to take some.

Well, How was the maiden voyage?

SuperchargedC6
03-24-2014, 12:10 PM
Well, How was the maiden voyage?

It was good. We only got to stay out for a couple of hours, so it was good for breaking in the engine. Need to put about 4 more on it before I can really get on it and see what it will do!

MDVols
03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
I was there on Friday, guess I missed you. It was a great show actually, tons of traffic and we met our goals which is all we can hope for. Yeah that SC450 is the demo boat and it is pretty crazy with the stereo he has in it.

That was the blue one right. If so I got in that boat it was sharp, I loved the color of the interior and how they had the subs setup. They said that was their demo boat for the year. Must be nice! I was actually at the boat show in Nashville a couple weeks before that one also and they had the air nautiques there, man those boats are Massive!

TinMan
03-30-2014, 04:25 AM

Here's my SC 350

Mobius22
03-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Awesome SC!

MDVols
03-30-2014, 01:56 PM

Here's my SC 350

Nice boat TinMan!

Tims
03-30-2014, 05:19 PM

I was on the fence between these same 2 boats and the Supra won out for a few reasons.

Overall fit and finish: Personally I think the Malibu has gone through quite a bit of cost cutting, especially in the interior. Many places where there used to be french seams are no longer there and they had plastic lower seat supports instead of foam backed vinyl. The dash is totally cost cut, no more gauges, just Malivue, which is a lousy interface.

Handling: The new SC/SA line handle like slot cars.

Flexibility: With the wake plate, the SC/SA line can put out a respectable ski wake as well as a great surf and wakeboard wave.

Price is all how you work the front end deal. I was able to get my SC for 5k under the 23lsv when considering similar options.

Tims
03-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Sweet!!! Four weeks and counting for mine....

Zim
03-30-2014, 06:57 PM
Sweet boats guys... I'm jelly.