PDA

View Full Version : Good cover for outdoor storage on trailer?

cadunkle
02-24-2014, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately Saltare has to live otuside for the time being, too big to fit in the garage. The last snow storm was pretty heavy and quick, and tore up my cover from the weight before I could get it off. Threw a tarp over it the torn bits for now but I need something better. What I have now came with the boat and is a very big generic cover that goes over the swim platform and all the way down the sides, easy to pitch high and tie off on the trailer. I'd like something similar sized as I like to keep a fairly steep angle so water goes right off and doesn't have time to soak through, and also want coverage down the sides to keep from fading in the sun. I do have a nice custom snap cover but I only use that when the boat stays on the water a few weeks a year, it doesn't cover the sides and I can't pitch it high.

What's available that's good for outdoor storage and preferably not terribly expensive? I'm seeing $400-$700+ from a quick google search. Too rich for my blood.

NoNceNse
02-25-2014, 01:01 AM
$20 walmart tarp works fine even in Colorado. Just brush the snow off after each storm. My old Bayliner spent some nasty winters underneath tarps with zero issues or damage. I don't feel like I have anymore protection on my $800 Supra cover over the $20 walmart tarp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CJD
02-25-2014, 10:58 AM
We get a lot of ice with our snow down here. You have to remove any cloth cover before a storm to prevent it tearing . Tarps work, but do not breath, so mildew becomes an issue. They have to be loosened in good weather, or you end up scrubbing the interior a lot. Unfortunately, either way, keeping the boat outside envolves some work...

nd4spd
02-25-2014, 02:48 PM
I built this cover when I bought my Comp. It's worked quite well over the past 2 winters. I try to tie up the tarp a little loosely so I get some airflow through it.

Storing the frame each spring is a bit of a pain though.