PDA

View Full Version : Putting motor back in

Bagar55
02-25-2014, 11:03 PM
In the fall I posted about my oil pan rusting through and dropping all of my engine oil into bildge. Thanks to all for the many helpful tips on pulling the motor. I spent hrs cleaning and prepping the motor for a full re spray. Turned out looking awesome. Replaced just about every bolt and screw on the motor, new tstat housing and tstat, new water pump, new hoses, new drain plugs, belt, etc... Sent vdrive off and had it re sprayed and totally rebuilt by Walters. Lots of work but the motor looks almost brand new.
Question about putting motor back in. Is it easier to bolt the motor mounts back in to the boat first and line up motor to mounts or should I attached mounts to motor and try to line up holes in stringers? I built a pallet to keep the motor on while working on it over the winter and anytime I picked it up with hoist to get underneath it was a pita to get the motor to sit back down in the mounts. Was much easier to attached mounts to motor first and sit it back down on pallet.
Boat is 2006 21v with 340.

michael hunter
02-26-2014, 08:18 AM
I have the engine on my comp out when I put it back in the mounts will be on the engine.

Cusefan78
02-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Keep the mounts on the engine that way when you lower the motor the engine can be lined up with the stringers. It's a lot easier to put the mounts on with the engine out and just screw in the bolts for the stringers when it's in place.

haugy
02-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Engine mounts on the motor. Looking down to see things align is much easier than turning into a Chinese acrobat to try and get engine mounts to line up.

Bagar55
02-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the help once again. I was leaning towards keeping the mounts attached to the motor and trans from lifting it on and off the pallet over the winter. Figured I would ask before wrestling it back in.

jasun
03-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Not sure how old they are but it helped me a lot to clean them and grease the crap out of then. I made the mistake of not doin this on 25+ year old mounts, I had to pull the motor again because I couldn't get it adjusted. Cleaned them up and greased them and was easy to adjust the motor.
Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TitanTn
03-04-2014, 11:25 PM
I just did it this past weekend. As the others have said, definitely leave the mounts on the engine.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/setting_engine.jpg