PDA

View Full Version : Cut her up or not?

haugy
02-28-2014, 10:26 AM
Well as most projects go, I'm doing a lot more than planned. As I continue getting the old carpet and glue residue off the boat I started thinking about something. My port side storage area (mid walkway). It's very small, but even more so, it's a mother effer to get in there. My amps are in there and they are wired up awful mainly because I just can't get any room to really work in there. Bolting those things up was an act of god.

So I'm wondering if I should make a small rectangular cut out right behind the observers seat. It would NOT be accessible easily, and that's fine. But for those big projects that require amp removal or major wire work, it would be handy to be able remove the seat to get back there. Make a good size rectangular cut that allows access to the top area, and under the shelf it sits on. I'd reinforce the shelf once that wall is cut out. But that would also allow for access to the wiring and such as well.

At the same time I know I'll have to redo the stringers. If it wasn't so late in the season I'd start now. But next year probably. My concerns is weakening that section and then pulling the top cap off. I might need to wait before I make structure cuts.

Thoughts?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/boatinterior1_zps271cc547.jpg

CJD
02-28-2014, 11:03 AM
If you make decent radii at the corners of the hole, I don't think you will have any structural problems. You could do like the newer boats and hinge the seat back at the top, so all you have to do is swing it up out of the way when you need access.

Wylietunes
02-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Why not put a hinge and lift support on that seatback cushion and make it a usable storage like whats found on most tow boats now?

DAFF
02-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Cut it out.... Keep the radius of the corners large enough to prevent cracking and add some structural backing which can be glassed in when the cap is pulled. All in all the boat looks dry and happier than most her age. I would be measuring and planning for all the changes when you finally pull the cap. If you plan it right a v drive conversion would not be all that much more work.

haugy
02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
The hinge was an idea, but that observer seat also ties into the side in one big piece. That would be a lot of weight to hinge on that, especially if it's cut open. I'd have to look at hydraulic actuators to help the load, but I can't see where to mount them until I cut. Double-edge sword.

Daff, she is far from dry. On the starboard side you can see a different color wood from the port side. Port side is all original, starboard side is a patch job. And a crappy on at that.
Under the original side I pulled a piece to see the wood underneath. Not a good sign. She's damp, every so slightly, but damp nonetheless. Plus this thing weighs a ton. My Diesel even has some WTF moments towing it. She will have to be gutted, but that's okay.

Wylietunes
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
If you are redoing the upholstery, have that seat back done as 2 pieces

haugy
02-28-2014, 09:13 PM
Seats aren't getting redone.

cadunkle
02-28-2014, 10:16 PM
Firstly, where are your amps mounted? You talking about in the port side cubby accessible from the walkway to the bow or under that cubby and accessible from going under the bow cushions?

If you're tlaking down low on the floor now only accessible from the bow I say cut a window. You've already got holes in there for wiring most likely. Make room nice round corners and have at least some access. It may make more sense to wait until doing stringers in a year or two though so you're in glass mode to add strength and tie anything that feels weak back together. Personally I'd like to move my batteries to this area under the cubby. Things get shoved way back in there and never seen again I'd rather use it for batteries and other utilitarian purposes and gain the easily accessibly under seat storage.

If you're tlaking about the cubby itself accessible frmo teh walkway to bow I'd leave it closed. No easy elegant way to hinge the seat back given it's curved and wraps around the port side and any other way would be a paint or not give good access anyhow. Man up and contort your way in witha helper to hand you any tools you forget, or enlist a kid that will fit.

mapleleaf
03-01-2014, 05:26 PM
I made this cut out in the exact same spot for wiring as well on my Conbrio, can't find any pics... The only time I know it's there is when the observer chair is out (almost never) it made life working under there sooooo much better....