PDA

View Full Version : Amp help!

shnook1
03-04-2014, 11:10 PM
First off i'm new to the forum and this is my first post. Anyway... I've got an 84 rider that im freshening up for the upcoming season. Im adding 4 polk db tower speakers and am curious if there is an amp out there that can run my 6 inboats and the 4 tower speakers or will I have to run 2 amps? Thanks in advance!

Wylietunes
03-05-2014, 10:38 AM
You're best served with a 4 chnl amp to drive the 6 in-boats and a dedicated 2 chnl to drive the 4 tower speakers. The two main reasons is that a tower speaker typically needs to be powered with more power than whats needed for an in-boat. This is due to the tower speaker speaker up in the air, out of the boat in the open, where the in-boats benefit from the "bath tub" effect of being down in the boat often surrounding the passengers. next is how hard most work the tower setup. Asking a single amp to drive 10 speaker is a pretty hefty task, especially when we want a lot of the tower speakers. 2 amp gives you dedicated power supplies for each speaker setup. There are a few amps that are up to the task, but they are not cheap and they tend to be large. A quality 4 and 3 chnl amp should come in less then those single amp options.

shnook1
03-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured but in searching the web I stumbled across a couple 6 channel amps though what I found I knew would be slightly underpowered it sparked my curiosity to wondering if there may be something out there that could handle the task. Think I'll just go with a 4 channel and 2 channel setup like you've talked about. Do you have any suggestions on brand perhaps?

Wylietunes
03-05-2014, 12:03 PM
Im partial the (in alphabetical order) Arc Audio, JL Audio, Kicker and Wet Sounds amp.

shnook1
03-05-2014, 12:51 PM
I just happen to have a jl dealer 2 blocks from my shop. I'll give those guys a shout. Thanks again.