PDA

View Full Version : Great Board - Suggestions - Debating a few options

BigSurfer
03-16-2014, 12:56 PM
I am debating my next board. Should I go Parks Carbon Thruster or is there a better board for big guys? I am leaning carbon for speed.

Supraboy
03-20-2014, 01:28 PM
Last year a friend of mine who runs a local boat dealership brought a bunch of boards out to our lake to try. 10 of us "bigger :)" guys (220 - 350) all took an afternoon to test all the boards. Some of the boards tried were the Phase 5 Trident, Colt, Model X, Inland Surfer Red Rocket, CWB Nomad, etc. The favorite was unanimous..... The Phase 5 Trident. It is a carbon skim style board with 3 2" fins which are interchangeable. We had beginners trying surfing for the first time to people like me who can do a few tricks (360, olly, pop shuvit). All found the board the easiest to maneuver and we all felt most comfortable on it. I have been waiting for them to go on sale and finally got one this weekend for $650. If you can test some boards I highly recommend it because this is my fourth board. All of the ones I bought before were only mediocre for us big guys but I never tested them and the shop guys assured me they were great for ppl my size. Good luck!

BigSurfer
04-22-2014, 09:37 PM
I decided to go with two. I bought a Ronix Carbon Thruster and Phase 5 Model X. I haven't tried the Ronix board yet. It just looks cool and worse case scenario will work great for the kids. I demoed a handful of boards and the Phase 5 Model X blew away every other board I tried. I actual found I had to lean back on the Phase 5 because it was so fast. A carbon board makes a huge difference.

Supraboy
04-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Congrats! We found the model x pretty fast as well. We didn't get the chance to try the carbon thruster but I looked it up and it looks sick. I bet you will have a blast on those boards this summer.