PDA

View Full Version : Soft Spot on Floor of 2000 Model?

td in nc
03-22-2014, 08:06 AM
I was working on the 2000 Launch I purchased in Feb and I noticed a soft spot about 1 foot in diameter behind the drivers seat. I though that they did not use wood on this boat. Wondering if this is soft spot or signs of something else. Anyone else run into this or have suggestions?
Thanks
Tom

beat taco
03-22-2014, 10:46 AM
It's fiberglass there and my guess would be something was dropped there and damaged the glass. Not sure what condition your carpet is in but I would deal with it when replacing the carpet if possible.

td in nc
03-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the information. I was not too concerned, but just wanted to check.

cadunkle
03-22-2014, 03:18 PM
What type of metrial did Supra use for stringers and floors in the composite boats? Stringers I'm guess some sort of glass layup on a foam core as the mold? Floors maybe starboard or some other composite board? I've always wondered about composite boats getting saturated foam and with freeze/thaw cycles starting delamination. Could just be someone dropped something and cracked the glass, or a QC oversight on a Friday boat and that spot was not wetted out well or is delaminating. If that's all it is it shouldn't be bad to grind a bit and lay down some mat over it whenever the carpet needs to be replaced. If it's a small area and not getting worse I wouldn't dig in looking for problems if you're just getting the boat ready for the season as these things have a way or turning into bigger projects when you find other issues or "while I'm in here" type stuff.

td in nc
03-22-2014, 05:00 PM
The area is pretty isolated, I think I will take the advice of waiting until next fall to dig into it. It always seems like a small project turns in to a big one, once I start it.

DAFF
03-22-2014, 11:55 PM
The structural section of this boat is nothing like the stringer wood / glassed in style. More less its one large piece of plastic which is held in place by fibreglass around the perimeter and filled with foam. More than likely the area in question is where the foam was poured inside the cavity during the build process. Do some searching on here I posted a few photos a few years back. Here is a good place to look ...

https://plus.google.com/photos/101444528102814367861/albums/5508665092877424529?banner=pwa