PDA

View Full Version : Removing all four wheels/tires from trailer to get new tires

2001Sunsport
03-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Hi all,

I need to remove my wheels/tires to take them up to the local tire shop and get the new tires put on. What have you found is the easiest way to support a tandem axle trailer (with boat on it) when doing this, and where do you jack it up? Not really an option to take the boat off since everything is frozen up here.

Thanks!

jasun
03-27-2014, 06:11 AM
Cant you just take it to them?

gogger
03-27-2014, 07:31 AM
I jacked up the rear of the trailer and used jack stands under the rear main frame and the front jack supported the front.

haugy
03-27-2014, 09:52 AM
I have 4 jackstands, so I just use those.

But you will need two jackstands at least. Or some big 6x6 wood also works. I would just take it over to them as well though. Way easier if it's local.

2001Sunsport
03-27-2014, 07:17 PM
I would, but the problem is that Michigan has the worst roads (potholes that eat cars) of any state that I've ever been through, so their parking lot is completely full of cars with bent wheels and flat tires. I had to park across the street to walk in and order the tires, I think they had 35 cars in their lot with a constant stream coming and going.

Plus, I'd rather be careful and take my time getting the trailer in the air since the trailer is still in really good shape. I'm sure they don't care how they do it, they just want to do it quickly. I figured that the trailer should be supported as close to the points that it is actually loaded when it is on the ground, not at each end. Just wanted to hear other's thoughts.