PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass

84suprarider
03-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Does anyone have a mechanical style perfect pass for sale that will work for an 84 PCM? Or know where to get one?

inair
03-30-2014, 04:52 PM
Have you looked at Ski-it-again? I looked around for some time to try and find a suitable used system. Every where I looked there were only pieces and parts of systems for sale and when I contacted the sellers, I was never satisfied that what was for sale would work with the other pieces that I had found to go with it and my boat. Let us know what you find.

Cusefan78
04-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Keep us posted I'm really interested in doing this also

Ptownkid
04-03-2014, 07:23 AM
Another group buy...they are in Canada. I can get on this one.

angus2112
04-03-2014, 08:35 AM
http://www.hydrophase.com/

jtryon
04-03-2014, 09:51 AM
what do you mean by mechanical, a paddlewheel system? i have an '88 sunsport and have the PP Stargazer system--easy install and works great. hydrophase was also an option with their GPS system, has more features than PP does for the same price.

Cusefan78
04-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know which one I would need. Im fuel injected. Don't care if it's GPS or paddle wheel. There are a bunch of them on ski it again.

jtryon
04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Does anyone know which one I would need. Im fuel injected. Don't care if it's GPS or paddle wheel. There are a bunch of them on ski it again.
paddlewheel is supposed to be better if you're on moving water, otherwise i'd go GPS as it's an easier install and no drilling holes in your hull. you can order any of the GPS systems, and when ordering you just specify what boat it's for so that they can give you the correct length cable.

cadunkle
04-03-2014, 10:43 AM
I did paddlewheel and would do paddlewheel again. I like having water temp and knowing my speed over water is accurate. I also primarily ride on a river. If I had to do it again with the choices today I'd go RideSteady over PP. PP works, but for more or less the same price RideSteady has what I feel is a better display with more information presented, and you cna get both a paddlewheel and GPS in the same system which PP does not offer.

Buying used is a crapshoot to get a complete system as they don't seem to come up for sale often. Towboats are a limited market and I'd wager especially with paddlewheel systems once it's installed it stays with the boat. If you find a system complete minus paddlewheel the price may well be nearly the cost of just buying new since there are (or at least were) very few used PP components for sale.

Ptownkid
04-03-2014, 11:06 AM
I'm not sold on ridesteady yet and they only offer two gauge choices...rather not have a gauge that looks very out of place. Gps versus paddlewheel is simply an issue of moving water or not, unless i truly needed paddlewheel, I much prefer the idea of gps with a five minute install and no holes.

What of that extra information is actually useful? I find that their display looks very busy. More is not always better. Temp is cool i guess, but i already get that from my depth finder.

cadunkle
04-03-2014, 12:41 PM
Or in Canada water temp is expressed in a simplified manner... Solid or liquid ;)

Ptownkid
04-03-2014, 12:45 PM
This is true, hahaha

trayson
04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
what do you mean by mechanical, a paddlewheel system? i have an '88 sunsport and have the PP Stargazer system--easy install and works great. hydrophase was also an option with their GPS system, has more features than PP does for the same price.

I think that he's talking about the fact that some PP systems were designed for a physical throttle cable and other cruise control systems were designed for the much newer "drive by wire" boats that don't have a phyical throttle cable.

I have Perfect Pass wakeboard pro with the paddlewheel on my 92 Sunsport. as was said previously, the paddlewheel is good for those of us that are on a river with current. I've only ever rode on a river since I've owned my boat, so I guess this is me.

trayson
04-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Also, speaking of drive by wire systems vs. those with a throttle cable... I thought this was interesting:

About Zero Off & Perfect Pass?

In May of 2008 Zero Off & Perfect Pass signed an agreement that states;

1) Perfect Pass will not offer drive by wire systems to boat OEM's beginning 2009 boat model year.
2) Perfect Pass will not offer retrofit systems for 2009 model year for drive by wire applications.
3) Perfect Pass is licensed to sell Star Gazer to its existing customer base until the beginning of 2009 boat model year.
4) Zero Off will not retrofit mechanically/servo driven applications.

What boats will Zero Off be available for?

Currently the Zero Off speed control system only works on 2007 to present boats with a drive-by-wire that use E-Controls ECU's.

cadunkle
04-08-2014, 10:24 AM
Interesting, sounds like each company wants to maintain a monopoly on a particular market segment. This ensured they can price through the roof as it's a niche product. Glad RideSteady is in the market too, so they can pressure with either price or features.