PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Sunsport ballast and switch questions

2001Sunsport
03-30-2014, 05:02 PM
I recently purchased a 2001 Sunsport and have a number of questions about it. I'm trying to figure out some of the switches (see picture below). There is one that says "heater" but there is only one wire attached to it and it goes from the switch to F1 or F2 on the circuit board under the dash. The other switch I am confused about is the "Trim up/down". It also only has one wire going to it and it goes to F1 or F2 on the circuit board. I didn't have a meter with me, so I didn't try to figure out which was which. "Accessory" I assume can be wired to be whatever you want. Any ideas what these do? They don't seem to do anything when I flip them. If trim up/down has something to do with the wake plate, that would not make sense, because I have a manual one.

Other big question is ballast. I have what looks to be the factory hard ballast tank under the rear seat. How do you fill/drain this? I don't see a switch for it, and it looks like there are two places for hoses to be connected, but there are none. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Zim
03-30-2014, 06:14 PM
Id assume that the wire going to those switches would be for a lighted switch if you had those accessories. If you don't have a heater, and have a manual wake plate, then those switches won't do anything. They may just have a hot wire going to them so they can be used if you had the accessory.

As for the hard tank, not sure. Did those come with a ballast option? It's not the gas tank is it?

99bison
03-30-2014, 06:32 PM
Zim is likely right, they aren't hooked up to anything. If you have a factory hard tank that is a bit weird that there's no pump/switch for it. Fwiw, My v drive had the rear tanks hooked to the heater switch.

Oh, and the acc wasn't hooked to anything. The trim up down wasn't hooked to anything either.

2001Sunsport
03-30-2014, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys, it does look like it's probably just a hot wire, they are red. I'm pretty sure it's a ballast tank. If you look at the last picture, you see two separate tanks. Front I believe is ballast rear is gas.

99bison
03-30-2014, 07:52 PM
Is there a pump or two or a through hull anywhere?

2001Sunsport
03-30-2014, 08:00 PM
There is something on the side of the hull that I'm not sure what it is, but I can't find a pick up on the bottom of the hull. It'd be sweet if someone that had a launch ss or something similar could show me how theirs is set up

djacobs
03-30-2014, 08:30 PM
I have the same boat. It is set up like yours - switch for heater (but no heater installed), switch for trim tab (but mine is a manual trim tab) and I have ballast tanks under the rear seat that have never plumbed in. The fitting on the side of the hull is the discharge for your bilge pump.

2001Sunsport
03-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Have you ever tried, or wanted to plumb it? The fitting I was talking about is at the rear of the boat on the side. It's black.

djacobs
03-30-2014, 09:07 PM
I've never tried to plumb it in but have thought about, just haven't had the time to do it yet. The only other fitting I have is at the rear passenger side which is the gas tank vent.

djacobs
03-30-2014, 09:12 PM
By the way - good looking boat. I've always liked yellow and blue combinations.

2001Sunsport
03-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Thanks! I think it's pretty good looking. Interior needs a really good cleaning and then whatever mods I decide to do to it since it seems to be completely stock. 291 hours on it now. What kind of tower do you have on yours? I am probably going to try to plumb this ballast tank if I can find some info on it. It is very surprising to me that they would put the tank in there but not plumb it.

djacobs
03-31-2014, 05:27 AM
My tower is stock. I believe its made from new dimensions.

2001Sunsport
03-31-2014, 07:56 PM
Ah, okay. Trying to find a new one that matches the lines of the boat nicely. Do you know if this generation Sunsport is not so common? You are the first one I've run across other than mine.

Also, I priced out a bunch of plumbing stuff to make the ballast tank usable. I think you could get away with getting it to work off the heater switch with two pumps for about $250.

djacobs
04-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I have not seen any either. I assume they are not too common - I think most people bought the launch instead during that time frame. Finding a cover that fits this boat with the factory tower has been hard.

I have a new cover that fits this boat with no tower if you are interested. It is a Westland sharkskin plus (cadet gray). Pm me if you are interested.

Thanks for the info. I may try plumbing in the ballast this off season.

2001Sunsport
04-01-2014, 07:59 PM
$250 is with slightly larger pumps. If you do two 800gph tsunami pumps, I think it could be sub $200. It would be awesome if I could find some pictures or info on how the factory plumbed these and try to imitate it.

djacobs
04-01-2014, 08:46 PM
I've done a few mods to mine since I have owned it:
Dual battery system with a blue sea switch
Stainless cup holders with led lights (red)
Led interior lights (red)
Seadeck on the swim platform with the supra logo (highly recommend this)
Wet sanded and removed all the stickers
6 Polk db 351
Tower speakers and amp

I want to add perfect pass and FAE exhaust in near future. Adding the push button ballast would be great too.

You will really like your boat. I love the way a direct drive handles.