PDA

View Full Version : Ballast 2007 Supra launch 20 SSV

Cyrus
04-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi There

I'm new to the boat world and just purchased a 2007 Supra Launch SSV. It came with at 1500lb ballast package. Looking for advice on what I can do to upgrade the ballast weight. I'm hoping I wouldn't have to put ballast bags on the seats but from what I seen it looks like that might not be possible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Greenhorn

kevkev
04-07-2014, 03:09 PM
I have the same boat. I run an 1100# bag in the surf side locker (removed my cooler). The bag doesn't fill all the way, but it gets pretty full. Run 400# in center locker full and IBS under front bow cushions full. I run the wakeplate about 75% up and 10.8 MPH. This allows me to surf without any human ballast in the boat.

Cyrus
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the advice! The boat will be getting unwrapped for the season in the next couple weeks. Still ice out on the NH lakes. I will post some pics of my setup once I get the new ballast setup. Thanks again! Much appreciated.

Greenhorn

Zim
04-08-2014, 11:07 PM
I've got about the same boat as well. I can surf just fine with stock ballast full in center and surf side with some extra human ballast. This boat likes extra weight in the rear. I borrowed a 750lb bag from a buddy and put that half way on the seat/swim deck on the surf side and got a great wave with only a couple other people in the boat.

The guy surfing is factory 400lb bags in rear, with front full and 3 others in boat on surf side (1 being driver). The girl was with the extra 750lb bag with about 5 people in the boat. Definitely get some weight in the rear, then adjust and throw human ballast around towards the front to figure out length. I usually have wakeplate around the same as kev... anywhere from 50-75% up. Not sure on speed since my speedo is broke, but usually im around 2800-3000 RPM on PP with a 14.25x14.5 OJ prop (A must upgrade if you dont have it).

Cyrus
04-09-2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks Mike

Great pics. So I have no idea what's on my boat for a prop. I will definitely investigate and find out what's on the boat. It's in storage about an hour away right now. What does the prop upgrade do? Sorry for the ignorance I'm a rookie.

Thanks Again
Cyrus

Zim
04-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Prop just helps a weighted boat get on plane quicker. Mine came with the 13.7x17.5 or something like that. That prop is more of an all around prop so you still have top end speeds of 44mph or so, but I don't ski much and never barefoot so I don't need that top end. The prop I have now will allow my boat to jump right on plane with full ballast and 10 people on board rather than taking forever to plane out, if it ever would. It's a good prop for mainly surf and wakeboarding.

This boat puts out a very nice wave with the right weight in it. It just needs a lot of weight specifically in the back corner on surf side. Front weight helps with length of the wave. It'll take a while to get the feel of the push and ride without a rope, but my recommendation is to position your front foot closer to the the wave side of the board, and really cut the board into the wave with forward weight. If you're finding you're running into the back of the boat and running really fast towards the platform, shift your weight to the rear of the board and it'll slow you down. From there it's about finding that balance from weight on front or back foot and you'll start riding no rope no problem. A big wave with lots of push always helps too. ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

Zim
04-09-2014, 09:48 AM
FYI this is where you'll see what prop you have. The lettering etched around the shaft hole haha

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/20130731_174333_zpsb5536f74.jpg

Cyrus
04-09-2014, 12:56 PM
Again Thanks for all the great advice. I truly appreciate it. Will post you back when I find out what I have for a prop.

Cy

Cyrus
04-16-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi Mike

So you were right I have a 13.7 x 17.5 prop. Hitting the internet to get the upgrade prop. My wallet says ouch! But seriously thanks for all the input!

Cy

Zim
04-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Hi Mike

So you were right I have a 13.7 x 17.5 prop. Hitting the internet to get the upgrade prop. My wallet says ouch! But seriously thanks for all the input!

Cy

It'll be the best upgrade you make. Worth every penny. I'd recommend the prop I have pictured here from OJ. It's a great upgrade.

Cyrus
04-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Hi Mike

Got the OJ prop on the boat. Thanks for the great advice!

Cy

Cyrus
04-30-2014, 07:41 AM
Hi Kev

So I'm going to put 1100's in the rear lockers. Did you hook the bag up to the boat's pump system or did you just use an external pump that you throw over the side of the boat?

Cy

kevkev
04-30-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi Kev

So I'm going to put 1100's in the rear lockers. Did you hook the bag up to the boat's pump system or did you just use an external pump that you throw over the side of the boat?

Cy

I plumbed it to the existing fill & drain lines in the boat. I use a tsunami throw over pump to fill the ibs currently, but plan on at some point plumbing it in to my center bag.

Cyrus
04-30-2014, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reply! Really appreciate the advice.

Cy

Zim
05-01-2014, 12:18 PM
You're going 1100's??? Will those even fill all the way? I would think 750's back there would be sufficient.

Kev... how's the IBS help with length? Is it worth the 270 bucks or would just throwing an extra 450lb bag I have laying around up in the bow give me the same result? Sure would be nice to have it all hidden, but not sure its worth the extra money.

Zim
05-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Hi Mike

Got the OJ prop on the boat. Thanks for the great advice!

Cy

Had a chance to take the boat out with it on there yet? HUGE difference! You'll find cruising speed is a little slower (I usually roll about 3k RPMS cruising). My speedometer doesn't work, so I have no idea how fast that is.

kevkev
05-01-2014, 01:07 PM
You're going 1100's??? Will those even fill all the way? I would think 750's back there would be sufficient.

Kev... how's the IBS help with length? Is it worth the 270 bucks or would just throwing an extra 450lb bag I have laying around up in the bow give me the same result? Sure would be nice to have it all hidden, but not sure its worth the extra money.

The ibs helped quite a bit with the length, I no longer feel like I'm riding too close to the platform. I'm sure you could achieve the same result with throwing a spare bag on top of the seat. For me I wanted everything hidden, hopefully I will find some time this summer to plumb in the ibs to the center bag. I don't think the ibs fills all the way either since there is not a lot of room in our boats under the seats, but I fill it as much as I can.

Cyrus
05-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Yeah I'm going a bit overboard. The 1100s won't fill all the way but I'm hoping that they will get to around 75% out of the bag around 825lb if my math is right. Maybe even a little more if I let the locker doors push open a little.

Zim
05-01-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah I'm going a bit overboard. The 1100s won't fill all the way but I'm hoping that they will get to around 75% out of the bag around 825lb if my math is right. Maybe even a little more if I let the locker doors push open a little.

Honestly, just save the money. Get the 750 bags and use the extra money to put it towards an IBS (integrated bow sac) that fits under your bow seats for more weight in the front. That'd be a better use of the money. The 750's make a big wave, especially if you keep your 400lb bags and put those around your boat.

kevkev
05-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Honestly, just save the money. Get the 750 bags and use the extra money to put it towards an IBS (integrated bow sac) that fits under your bow seats for more weight in the front. That'd be a better use of the money. The 750's make a big wave, especially if you keep your 400lb bags and put those around your boat.

$30 for an additional 350#'s if fully filled is not money wasted in my opinion. You can always fill the bag like a 750, but you can't fill a 750 to 1100. If it were say $100 more, I would agree with you that 750 would be enough.

Zim
05-01-2014, 05:31 PM
$30 for an additional 350#'s if fully filled is not money wasted in my opinion. You can always fill the bag like a 750, but you can't fill a 750 to 1100. If it were say $100 more, I would agree with you that 750 would be enough.

I didnt realize they were only 30 bucks more. Definitely worth it then.

Cyrus
05-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Hi Mike

Yesterday was the first day out will the new ballast and prop. The water temp is still below 55 degrees so till then I won't know how the wake will surf. But that being said the wake is huge, much bigger then I ever thought it would be. The boat gets on plane right away with the new prop. Thanks for all the advice! That goes out to Kev too.

I will post videos as soon as we can get in water and surf.

Cy

Zim
05-12-2014, 04:21 PM
Hi Mike

Yesterday was the first day out will the new ballast and prop. The water temp is still below 55 degrees so till then I won't know how the wake will surf. But that being said the wake is huge, much bigger then I ever thought it would be. The boat gets on plane right away with the new prop. Thanks for all the advice! That goes out to Kev too.

I will post videos as soon as we can get in water and surf.

Cy

Good to hear... how full did the 1100 lbs bags get for you? I assume the filled the locker entirely

Cyrus
05-13-2014, 09:08 AM
I'd say they were only at 70% and that filled up the locker almost entirely. But I'm guessing you could get to around 80-85% but the boat was sitting really low in the water already at 70% fill.

Zim
05-13-2014, 11:05 PM
I'd say they were only at 70% and that filled up the locker almost entirely. But I'm guessing you could get to around 80-85% but the boat was sitting really low in the water already at 70% fill.

I bet it was. The most I've had in the rear was my 400lb bag full with another 750 on top of it. The 750 actually pushed the water out the drain hole of the 400lb bag, so I'm not sure how much was actually in there, but this was how my boat sat, and the wake follows. The boat throws a solid wave with enough weight. I was surprised.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/Screenshot_2013-08-04-09-08-45-1_zpsa99269c0.png (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/zimstang/media/Screenshot_2013-08-04-09-08-45-1_zpsa99269c0.png.html)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/wave_zps140d4652.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/zimstang/media/wave_zps140d4652.jpg.html)

Big Difference compared to this....

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/surfsesh_zps9137759e.jpg (http://s166.photobucket.com/user/zimstang/media/surfsesh_zps9137759e.jpg.html)

Swamplandkarl
05-21-2014, 07:36 PM
I have a 20V with 750lbs bags and can almost completely fill them...

Cyrus
05-27-2014, 02:46 PM
So we got there and it was cold but fun. Had the 1100lb in the back about 75% filled the 400lb filled in the ski locker and the trim at 3/4 speed at 9.5-10mph. Two bikini ladies in the bow and two buddies on the wake side bench. I got some good time behind the boat ropeless. The wake is super close to the boat I actually touch the boat twice with he nose of my board. And I mean the boat not the swim platform. The wake really needs some length and just a little more push. It's almost there I'm sure a couple trips out there and we will get it dialed in. Here's a link to a YouTube video from that day. The first guy is my buddy who surfs all the time and he goes ropeless the second guy was his first time on any sorts of surfboard and didn't really get the hang of it.

http://youtu.be/G4ml1LmWb18

Zim
05-27-2014, 05:25 PM
speed the boat up a bit or lower the wakeplate a little if you want to lengthen your wave out

Zim
05-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Ordered my 750 bags today... pretty pumped to get those babies in there. Surf without 7 peoplein the boat.

Zim
06-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Those 750's sure helped! Going to add some more weight up front to see if I can get a bit longer of a pocket, but holy crap was the wave big.

Cyrus
06-14-2014, 06:46 PM
Hey Mike

Nice looking wave. Been reading a lot about how your swim platform can effect the surf wake. I took off the railing on the edge of my swin platform and used AZEK plastic wood to take the 1 inch lip off the bottom of the corners on the deck. Going out tomorrow too see what it does if anything at all. Then I will be trying either a homemade surfgate or nss system. Here are some pics of the swim platform. 14535145361453614537

Zim
06-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Taking the lip off is a great idea. How did you secure it? What kind of condition is your railing in? Would you consider selling it? The previous owner of mine backed it into something and put a big dent in the rail... I'd like to replace mine.

HyperCVAD198
06-16-2014, 10:50 PM
Great idea, Cyrus. Interested to see how that works out!

Cyrus
06-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Hi Mike

I used lag bolts where there were already holes in the swim platform then drilled one extra hole on the backside of the swim platform. Went out 3 days in a row. The wave does have a cleaner face so for the $30 and my time I feel like it was worth it. I'm going to hold onto the railing for resale purposes. Here is some video

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=InBY8-PEiqg

2007 Supra Launch 20SSV
Around 900lb left rear
400lb center
Roughly 400lb bow
Board : ronin duke 6'1

Zim
06-19-2014, 01:49 PM
Lookin' good there! Your board is pretty big too!

Last weekend I was at the Ozarks and found that the best wave I got as to have my 750lb bag full in the rear locker, had one person on the deck on rope duty, another in the back corner, another back middle, then had my center sack filled, with another 400lb bag filled in the center on the floor of my bow with one other girl up in the bow on the surf side. Nice and long, and very steep. When I don't have all the people, I have an extra 400lb bag to move around the boat, but could probably benefit from 2 of those bricks to move around on seats as well to take the place of people.

For the size, these boats do pretty well when it comes to a surf wave, that's for sure!

Also just ordered a new board. I've been on a CWB tsunami.. 4'6" board, and called the guys at Doomswell to make me a custom board. Went with the Bigstep since i'm a little heavier and got my custom scheme all set up on a 4 fin setup. Now just playing the waiting game for it to be handmade, painted, glassed, and delivered. Hope I get it before the end of the summer haha.