PDA

View Full Version : Doghouse base carpeting

Ptownkid
04-08-2014, 01:43 PM
Has anyone done new carpet on their doghouse base? Any tips or advice? What glue did you use? Where did you leave a seam?

haugy
04-09-2014, 10:38 PM
Ironically I'll be doing mine this weekend. I had planned on doing it on one of the angles of the wood, but then after further thought it wouldn't line up right. So I'm going to put it right behind the sky pylon. Not an easy spot to really look at, and most people don't look at that spot. On the back, people are low enough to see it if I screw up. :D

I'm planning to use the same glue I'll be doing the sides with. Heavy duty spray adhesive. But I'll wrap the extra around the bottom and top and staple gun those down to keep it tight and secure.

Ptownkid
04-10-2014, 06:05 AM
I think I might have to do it in two pieces...

haugy
04-10-2014, 10:09 AM
What do you mean? Like have two seams? I've got enough carpet that I plan putting adhesive all around the outer point, with excess sticking up above and below. Let that adhere, and then start to fold and trim inward.

Now keep in mind, this all according to my "plan". In theory it seems sound.

Ptownkid
04-10-2014, 05:40 PM
Yeah...the carpet I bought was sold by the yard...96" wide. Takes more than 96" to wrap the base so i would have had to buy like 4 yards to cut a one foot strip off the edge.

michael hunter
04-11-2014, 07:10 AM
I am currently working on a Supra interior for a customer. The entire base had to be made the round corners are a real biiiiiiitch to duplicate. The seam was at the starboard side front corner facing the drivers seat.

haugy
04-11-2014, 10:52 PM
I am currently working on a Supra interior for a customer. The entire base had to be made the round corners are a real biiiiiiitch to duplicate. The seam was at the starboard side front corner facing the drivers seat.

Great. Can't wait. Yeah, that's probably a good idea, behind the captains chairs, hard to see.

TitanTn
04-12-2014, 09:07 PM
That's where my seam is. Behind the captains chair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ptownkid
04-13-2014, 08:23 AM
How are you guys getting one continuous piece of carpet?

TitanTn
04-13-2014, 09:11 AM
How are you guys getting one continuous piece of carpet?

I think my carpet was something like 9' wide and I bought a length of about 16'. So I cut off a 12" wide strip that was 16' long. This wrapped around the entire base and gave me only one seam. Those numbers are approximate, it's been several years and I don't remember exactly. If you are going to have more than one seam, I'd consider making it meet on a corner. This wouldn't work for something like Michael's doing with rounded corners, but if your corners are 90 degrees, you can likely hide the seam on a corner fairly well.

Ptownkid
04-13-2014, 07:19 PM
Figured that's how your piece was long enough...

Anyone have pics of the inside front of the base? Is there some hardware in the bottom edge?

Byron
04-14-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm going to tackle making a new dog house base and recarpet in a week also. What wood are you guys using? Marine plywood? and where should I be purchasing the carpet?

haugy
04-15-2014, 05:03 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm going with good old fashioned 2x6's. Then painting them. I didn't want to use pressure treated wood, and I was afraid the laminate of the plywood would pull apart. It looks like what I'm doing is what they did back in 1990. And it's lasted till now. Honestly I might just patch the once piece of wood where the doghouse mounts to the base as it's suffered some from all the torque over the years. The rest is in fine shape other than the carpet.

Ptownkid
04-15-2014, 08:37 PM
They used 1x6