PDA

View Full Version : How to Remove Exhaust Manifolds 06 Supra 22SSV

cbondurant
04-10-2014, 12:52 AM
Hi

Can anyone give me some tips on how to remove the exhaust manifolds?
The boat has 1000 hours on it and I noticed a small leaks from both manifolds during un-winterazation.
How do I remove the rubber boots from the riser to muffler. Should I remove the muffler to gain clearance?

CJD
04-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I see you are getting a lot of responses too!

I'm sorry, but I haven't worked on that particular model. At that age, I'd plan to replace the rubber boots, which opens up the easy route of just cutting them off. If they have been replaced recently, you can work a screw driver around the boot to free it. Even once they are loose, they are still a pain to pull off the riser. Beer and cussing seem to help.

The manifold itself should simply unbolt from the head. You will need a new gasket there.

cbondurant
04-24-2014, 10:57 PM
I was able to unbolt the riser after a few nights of soaking the bolts that are buried into the riser itself. After I unbolted both sides I put a rag on top of the header to protect the surface. I pulled up on the riser to give myself enough clearance to remove the header without disconnecting the exhaust hoses.

Now for some professional feedback. There is no gasket and from what I have read else where their should not be. However the surface seems corroded on the port side of the head. There by allowing exhaust and water to blow thru.

Any advice on what to do next? It is a 2006 Indmar 325. I plan to call Indmar tomorrow but have had mixed results following that path in the past...

CJD
04-25-2014, 11:53 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Indmar says. I know they consider the riser a "wear" item, as it slowly corrodes from the inside out...slowly in fresh water, and faster in salt.

Is the corrosion on the head or riser?

Also, I do see there is no gasket listed in the parts manual for the head to riser, as you said. So, how do they recommend sealing the riser?

jzelt
05-01-2014, 12:29 PM
I believe our 04 just has a "gasket" made from a tube like Permatex like you would for a transmission pan. (appears red in color instead of black). Prob a tube at an auto store would work.