PDA

View Full Version : Amp kit suggestions Calling the stereo experts!

Meyeronfire
04-10-2014, 02:07 AM
Alright heres what I got. Installing Wetsounds syn6 and syn 2 amps in my 03 launch.

Syn 6 - Channel 1 and 2 powering a pair of Rev 8's
Channels 3-6 Poweing 2 pairs of SW-650's

Syn 2 - Powering marine JL sub.

My question is what amp kits can i use, I dont want to use the wetsounds amp kits so what else could I use!!?
Also speaker wire suggestions would be great to Thanks in advance!

Wylietunes
04-10-2014, 09:29 AM
So whats wrong with the Wet Sounds amp install accessories? They've got what you need.

Dont take this the wrong why, but neither of your setups are going to work. Have you already purchased all the listed equipment?

Your Syn-6 setup is like this in terms of who gets what power:
The Rev-8's would be getting 60W rms......they need 200W +.
1 pair of SW-650 would be getting 60W rms and 1 pair would be getting 155W rms

JL currently only offers a single 4 ohm marine sub, either an 8 or a 10 inch. Bridged on the Syn-2, it would see 700W.......for a couple of minutes then the smoke would be let out as they say. Running a single 4 ohm sub of a single chnl of that amp is a lot of potential left on the table.

With the given list of gear, here is what I would suggest:
Syn-2 = 1 pair of Rev-8 @ 200W rms to each pod

Syn-6 = SW-650's each wired to its own chnl 1-4 to = 60W rms and the JL marine 10" on chnl 6.

Now, if you really wanted to take advantage of the amp power you have, I would exchange the JL marine sub for a 12" 2 ohm DVC sub with a 500W rms/1000W Peak rating. Wire it in series and bridge it on the Syn-2 for 700W rms. Bridge the Rev-8's on chnls 1/2 and 3/4 of the Syn-6 for 200W rms and run the 2 pair of SW-650's on chnls 5 and 6 for 105W rms each.

Do not go buy an amp kit from a car stereo place, they are cut for car installs and boats are WAY different. You need to put together your install incidentals a la carte and with bulk cabling. It will be a custom "kit" based on the boat and the gear. I would suggest seeking some advice from the retailer/installer from whom you purchased. They can be a great resource too.

Youve got top-shelf gear, just need to make some adjustments in how its going to be configured. I hope this helps.

Meyeronfire
04-11-2014, 01:40 AM
So whats wrong with the Wet Sounds amp install accessories? They've got what you need.

Dont take this the wrong why, but neither of your setups are going to work. Have you already purchased all the listed equipment?

Your Syn-6 setup is like this in terms of who gets what power:
The Rev-8's would be getting 60W rms......they need 200W +.
1 pair of SW-650 would be getting 60W rms and 1 pair would be getting 155W rms

JL currently only offers a single 4 ohm marine sub, either an 8 or a 10 inch. Bridged on the Syn-2, it would see 700W.......for a couple of minutes then the smoke would be let out as they say. Running a single 4 ohm sub of a single chnl of that amp is a lot of potential left on the table.

With the given list of gear, here is what I would suggest:
Syn-2 = 1 pair of Rev-8 @ 200W rms to each pod

Syn-6 = SW-650's each wired to its own chnl 1-4 to = 60W rms and the JL marine 10" on chnl 6.

Now, if you really wanted to take advantage of the amp power you have, I would exchange the JL marine sub for a 12" 2 ohm DVC sub with a 500W rms/1000W Peak rating. Wire it in series and bridge it on the Syn-2 for 700W rms. Bridge the Rev-8's on chnls 1/2 and 3/4 of the Syn-6 for 200W rms and run the 2 pair of SW-650's on chnls 5 and 6 for 105W rms each.

Do not go buy an amp kit from a car stereo place, they are cut for car installs and boats are WAY different. You need to put together your install incidentals a la carte and with bulk cabling. It will be a custom "kit" based on the boat and the gear. I would suggest seeking some advice from the retailer/installer from whom you purchased. They can be a great resource too.

Youve got top-shelf gear, just need to make some adjustments in how its going to be configured. I hope this helps.

THANK YOU WYLIETUNES! I have already purchased all the equipment, so the JL sub will have to suffice for now, just brainstorming the wiring and setup, thats why I wanted to post up here first. And for sure not taking it the wrong way, Help and suggestions much appreciated man!

Your first suggestion of wiring:
That was my original thought, Now im for sure not a stereo expert but what I have read,

SYN-6: CHANNELS 1-4 individually power the SW-650'S and CHANNEL 6 power my JL sub.
(this setup is also what wetsounds website configuration suggests, although they use the examples of XS-650 which according to the specifications of each the XS and SW series they seem the same to me, correct me if im wrong please)

SYN-2: CHANNELS 1 & 2 power the REV 8's channeled individually.
(wetsounds website also uses this configuration and use the examples (1) pair of PRO 60's or (1) pair of PRO 80's correct me if im wrong please)

Now back to the original post question, Its looking like I will probably have to buy the wetsounds wiring amp kits, as far as which ones would you suggest. Purchase single amp kits x 2, or 1 amp kit that powers 2 amps, and which one front or rear? Please elaborate on this.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Wylietunes
04-12-2014, 07:08 PM
If you purchased local and from an authorized JL dealer, see if they would exchange that JL 10 for a 10" or 12 that would handle the available 600W from the Syn-6?

If they are an actual installer, then they should be able to fix you up with the cabling, blocks, circuit protection, etc, that you need to to install those 2 amps, They just need to know the approximate length of cables needed.

1/0ga off switch or battery to circuit breaker, then on to amp install area to a non-fused distribution block. 4ga to each amp
1/0ga battery B- to a 2nd non-fused distribution block, then 4ga to amps.

Some 18ga for the turn-on circuit

200A breaker

14ga speaker wire

12ga for the sub if you upgrade.

Misc. terminal lugs, solder and heat shrink, etc.

Wylietunes
04-12-2014, 07:10 PM
If you purchased local and from an authorized JL dealer, see if they would exchange that JL 10 for a 10" or 12 that would handle the available 600W from the Syn-6?

If they are an actual installer, then they should be able to fix you up with the cabling, blocks, circuit protection, etc, that you need to to install those 2 amps, They just need to know the approximate length of cables needed.

1/0ga off switch or battery to circuit breaker, then on to amp install area to a non-fused distribution block. 4ga to each amp
1/0ga battery B- to a 2nd non-fused distribution block, then 4ga to amps.

Some 18ga for the turn-on circuit

200A breaker

14ga speaker wire

12ga for the sub if you upgrade.

Misc. terminal lugs, solder and heat shrink, etc.