PDA

View Full Version : Bilge pump location

CJD
04-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I have noticed that, because of the hull shape of my 24v, that the bilge pump sees no water until there is almost 12" in the bilge. Do you guys just live with that, or have you relocated your pumps to the low point of the bilge? Added a second pump?

chris young
04-12-2014, 10:30 PM
No idea where or what the location is in your boat, but if it was mine, 12" in the bilge would be up to the spark plugs and out of the bilge altogether:confused:. I'd be relocating the pump for sure.

Cusefan78
04-13-2014, 06:33 AM
My labrisa was like that. I changed my pump then added another towards the front. Haven't had a problem since.

CJD
04-13-2014, 09:28 AM
My labrisa was like that. I changed my pump then added another towards the front. Haven't had a problem since.

So you have 2 pumps now? If so, do you know how it was plumbed...using the other pump's hoses or adding another exit hose?

The factory location for my pump is back by the transom. The keel steps downward about 4 feet forward of the transom, to act as a sort of skeg for maneuvering. So, this "step" fills with water while the rear is high and dry.

Cusefan78
04-13-2014, 04:12 PM
I have two pumps. One is below the ski pole. The one I added is under the floor access in the ski locker. I ran the new one to the original by adding a t.

CJD
04-14-2014, 04:00 AM
Thanks! I've never payed attention to the pumps...do they have a check valve to keep one from back feeding the other?

Cusefan78
04-15-2014, 10:53 AM
The t I have has a check valve

CJD
04-15-2014, 09:43 PM
I'll have to look for a T like that. Thanks again.

Cusefan78
04-16-2014, 08:32 PM
If you get good pumps they will come with check valves. Built into them.

SquamInboards
04-18-2014, 08:13 AM
I like to have two pumps since I leave my boat in the water for about 8 months straight usually. One is just below the ski pylon and one is in the stern behind the engine. The rear one has its own output so if I see that one running, I know there's a problem. Also if the front one has a problem, the water will slosh to the rear when I start up and it'll kick on the rear pump. The rear pump is also hard-wired (and fused of course) directly to power on the engine, so you CANNOT shut it off accidentally.

In my experience, bilge pumps are SO easily clogged or otherwise disabled, that in an inboard that's designed to leak around the stuffing box, two pumps are essential for worry-free operation. Same way I feel about two batteries...

CJD
04-18-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks...A second pump is definitely on my "to do" list!

smgperformance
04-19-2014, 09:17 AM
I also run two pumps with the surfing I do and just over all use of the boat its a nice piece of mind.
SG