PDA

View Full Version : 83 Supra Beast stringers??

darflinger
04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
Hay everyone!!! Spring has FINALLY sprung here n Chicago, and it's time for me to put in my required yearly work into my boat ...
So, this years job list includes,,- Last fall my impeller failed, and I ran the engine red hot for a while, not its 'ticking', sounds like a bent valve stem... wonderful.. While i have the engine out to investigate the extent of the injuries, I thought I'd check out the stringers. I have a 83 Supra Beast 454- Do I have wood stringers or fiberglass(fingers crossed)..
Thanks in advance
-Brian

inair
04-14-2014, 08:13 AM
In 1983 Supra made all the boats with wooden stringers. The good news is that some were made better than others and have lasted a good long time. Eventually they will have to be replaced but maybe not yet. Good luck with your inspection and engine project :)

darflinger
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Well Engines out,, and good news for once! only a lifter went bad, and the heads are good!! - So I replaced the cam and lifters, and that's it! - I was throwing around the idea of trying to get a few more horsepower out of my 454,, but all the pros were very strongly against it.. power increase would be barely noticeable, and once you start screwing with a known good engine you're bound to do more harm than good.
Now I need to find out if my stringers are good.. Is there any way to find out if they're rotten besides looking at the engine mount Lag-bolt holes???

michael hunter
05-05-2014, 07:48 AM
You have some very good engine people with good advice. Look for any cracks in the glass along the stringer . If you find cracks a small 1/8'' test hole can be drilled to see what the wood that comes off the bit looks like. Take a small hammer or wrench and tap on the stringer as far as you can listen for changes in the sound . It should be solid like tapping on a table if it sounds hollow you have a problem.