PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a 2002 SSV anything I should look for?

gogger
04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
I am thinking of going and looking at this boat. http://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/4403807920.html

Learned my lesson last time, thought I would ask for advice on what I should look for if I go to see it. He says he rebuilt the engine 50 hours ago. Did it himself after blown head gasket. Says about 800 hours overall on the boat. Should I be worried about the v drive / Transmission. EFI engine I would assume. What electronics did they come with in 2002?

Anything else I should look at?

It is 4 hours from my house. But I have a job next week and will only be about an hour away.

CornRickey
04-15-2014, 01:27 AM
I would be hammering him on his "rebuild" with questions to get a understanding if he was competent. Ask for receipts. The reason for the bhg?

gogger
04-15-2014, 09:47 PM
He claims he has done rebuilds before, has before and after pics. Pics during the rebuild and receipts.

jzelt
04-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Looks a lot like our 04. Haven't had too much wrong with ours to tell you for sure to go over to prevent it from going out later...
2 center panels where floor covers gas tank is aluminum (so no rotten floors) and comes up with 4 screws and some muscle, but not much to see...
Oils in vdrive, auto trans fluid and engine oil check after run to make sure no water leaks in.
Ours is EFI, but it has throttle bodies it sprays into (instead of direct injection), so similar to carb. You can remove the air filter cover and watch flow into throttle bodies.
Can check fuel pressure thru shrader valve, at least give idea if fuel pump/fuel filter (if it has one) is up to par.

gogger
04-16-2014, 10:12 PM
He sent me some pics of cracks around the tower mounts. Looks like stress cracks in the gel coat. Some cracks in upholstery also, that can easily be repaired.

CornRickey
04-16-2014, 10:37 PM
Mine has gel coat cracks around the tower mounts also. My '86 had cracks for the 13 years I had it. No issue for me. I'd go a compression test. These engines are not a pressure coolant system and had gaskets do not normally fail on there own. They fail due to over heating and heads/blocks warping. I would want to see receipts showing machine shop work.