PDA

View Full Version : Power Source for Depth Finder

td in nc
04-19-2014, 08:40 AM
I am getting ready to install a depth finder on my 2000 Launch and was hoping to find a power source to tap into under the dash. Ready other forum post on this topic people were using the power source from the clock they were replacing, but mine does not have a clock. Is there any suggestions? I was hoping there was an open source on the dash somewhere.
Thanks

Jetlink
04-19-2014, 10:08 AM
Mine is set up to only power the depth finder when the ignition is in the "on" or "run" position. It piggy backs off the ignition switch.

td in nc
04-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Jetlink, thanks. Just to make sure I understand. I am planning on splicing in the power source for the depth finder a couple on the wire which connects to the run position of the ignition switch. Is the on and run position provide power to the same wire or are they different?

Jetlink
04-19-2014, 10:57 AM
The "on" and "run" position are one in the same, it is basically saying the same thing. Your ignition switch should have 3 positions. Off, where you can remove the key, "On/Run" where the engine is running and then the spring loaded "Start" position where the spring wants to return the key to "On/Run" and de-energize the starter. Find the lead that is the "On/Run" and piggy back off of that.

99bison
04-20-2014, 10:44 AM
I think you can just use a piggyback style connector on an existing other gauge? Like the ones that to connect the rest (purple wire typically)? Unless this draws more??