PDA

View Full Version : Winter resto

shnook1
04-23-2014, 09:58 PM
Over the last view months I've torn into my 84 rider for its 2nd redo since 97. Here's some pics of my progress.1397313974139751397613977

shnook1
04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
1397813979[/attach[attach=config]139801398113981139821397913980

shnook1
04-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Ive got tons of pictures and am nearing the end of my project bit ive got to figure out another way to post them because this is a pain.

inair
04-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Nice work shook1. I actually like the color scheme and updated graphics. Lots of work there. What kind of paint did you use? I have been working on a re gel coat of my swim deck. From the little experience I have with gel coat I'm pretty sure I could never attempt a complete re color just because it's such a PITA!

wotan2525
04-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Love it. Keep posting pictures. Use imgur.com -- easy to upload multiples and it will give you links to paste in here.

TitanTn
04-26-2014, 08:25 AM
This is looking really good. Did you do any structural work?

It looks like you'll have it ready for the Southern Supra Reunion in July. We'd love to see it in person!

haugy
04-28-2014, 10:45 AM
As much as I'm not a fan of the paint scheme, that looks to be some nice work. Can you give us more details on the paint, process, and success?

I'm planning on redoing my floors next fall, and since the Gelcoat was fubar'd and then painted on, I'm going to have to repaint the color section of my boat as well. And mine happens to be black.

Zim
04-28-2014, 11:03 AM
Do you just refinish boats for fun, or has this boat required 2 complete break downs since 97? Seems awfully new to require this kind of work... especially twice in 15 years.

shnook1
04-28-2014, 06:32 PM
Im the 3rd owner. The original owner did stringer,floor and the whole deal back in 97. I started my project as just going to do my interior which had a few pulls here and there. Im a little bit on the o.c.d side so once I got into it I found things I wanted to change and update a bit. Naturally my small project grew and turned into a few month project. As far as my paint process I used single stage urethane paint and then went back scuffed it and cleared over it to add depth and help protect from dock chips and nicks. Ive been restoring cars for many years and have had great luck with this paint process and its durability. I have a 1932 Ford roadster that is done with this same process and dont have the first rock chip which is impressive being that it is an open wheeled car with huge tires on the rear. "Now back to the boat" stringers and all were very sound, however I wanted to remove the ski pole to free up some room in front of the engine cover. To do so properly I removed the carpet and replaced that one section of flooring with a solid piece. Zim in answer to your question I think im just a glutton for punishment. I always have some sort of project going on. It works out well because im able to work on my stuff during my down time at work which also gives my guys something to stay busy on as well when they have downtime. Really just wanted to change it up a bit and now here we are.

shnook1
04-28-2014, 06:45 PM
14016[attach=config]14018

devovino
04-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Wow, yeah nice work on the paint! So I have been dying to paint my boat for the last couple years, but was unsure what product to use, one product I looked into they told me the best way to apply it was roll and tip.... it sounded like a nightmare to do this to an entire boat so I have conveniently "not gotten to it". I also picked up another project a bit ago in the form of a 65 Mustang Convertible, so I have been focused on getting this back into shape.

I am however getting a new fire lit under me to get it painted having seen how you did this, any pointers on prepping the gel coat to receive the urethane? I do know with paint work, the prep work is the key to a nice job. So either way, nice work on that, and any advise one can offer would be greatly appreciated!

shnook1
04-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Devovino prep work is absolutely the key to a nice paint job. The biggest thing is getting the years of sunscreen, gas, oil and who knows what else off. Throughout the entire process my boat was sanded over completely 5 times and could honestly sand it one more and buff it just to get any little trash particles out.. "probably not gonna happen this season" im ready to get on the water... but I can always go back and do that at a later date. I always use a good wax and grease remover and wipe everything down good before spraying.. when doin that always and I cant stress this enough..ALWAYS dry it off immediately after wiping it on because that will ruin a paint job.

devovino
04-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Devovino prep work is absolutely the key to a nice paint job. The biggest thing is getting the years of sunscreen, gas, oil and who knows what else off. Throughout the entire process my boat was sanded over completely 5 times and could honestly sand it one more and buff it just to get any little trash particles out.. "probably not gonna happen this season" im ready to get on the water... but I can always go back and do that at a later date. I always use a good wax and grease remover and wipe everything down good before spraying.. when doin that always and I cant stress this enough..ALWAYS dry it off immediately after wiping it on because that will ruin a paint job.

Gotcha, sand, sand and more sanding! I have heard to use a good wax remover as well to start with. Like I said, I read a lot about Rolling and Tipping, or even rolling and rolling to apply paint, the paint I was looking at was Interlux Perfection, ever have any experience with either of these things, it appears to be pretty cut and dry!? I might try and take a crack at it, definitely will NOT spray it as one of the primary ingredients is cyanide, and Aerosolized it becomes deadly!

We will see what happens, but given the time (which is a commodity these days) I would love a nice new paint job like yours!

shnook1
04-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Find a knowledgeable paint store or body shop and see if you can buddy up and pick their brains. Ive used the same paint supplier for years and the guy KNOWS his stuff. He was the one who suggested the single stage urethane and then clear coating over it to me several years ago. It cost a little more but holds up well so it makes it worth it. And just to make sure you know its all "automotive paint" that was used. And ive never used any of those products something else you may could ask a supplier about to see if they are familiar with it and its durability.

haugy
05-01-2014, 03:13 PM
How would you feel about painting someone else's boat, like mine?

I'm serious. If it's ready in time, I'd love to see this thing at the Reunion. But I'm looking for someone that can redo the black on mine. The guy who did it before me was a moron, orange peel, left the decals on, etc. The gelcoat is fubar'd so I can't go back to that. But if I could remove the old paint (or sand it smooth) and then repaint properly over it with black again, it would look way better.

yjwrangler95
05-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Where did you get the Large Supra decal?

shnook1
05-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Haugy, I truly dont have a large enough facility to do a boat. I was able to squeak mine in barely, and it was a pain to maneuver around to paint. Wish I had a larger place where I could help you out.

shnook1
05-04-2014, 01:00 AM
yjwrangler95, I had a buddy make them. I couldnt see paying the astronomical price for them online

haugy
05-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Haugy, I truly dont have a large enough facility to do a boat. I was able to squeak mine in barely, and it was a pain to maneuver around to paint. Wish I had a larger place where I could help you out.

No problem man. The black on yours looks very clean and slick. I'm no fool at painting, but I'm definitely no pro. I've got a shop where I can section off for paint, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing when it comes to mixing, proper prep, and spray. I'm going to start a thread about painting mid-summer, I'd love some feedback. As well as what you used, etc.
I'm planning on redoing my floors in the fall, so my boat will be apart and perfect for paint

shnook1
05-05-2014, 09:49 AM
Im no pro either. No ones paint comes out of the gun perfect. Good prep work and color sanding and buffing afterwards is the key to a slick job. Be glad to help in any way I can. I'll keep an eye out for your thread and chime in when its up and running. In the mean time if you have any questions just give me a shout.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

devovino
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
No problem man. The black on yours looks very clean and slick. I'm no fool at painting, but I'm definitely no pro. I've got a shop where I can section off for paint, but I don't have a clue what I'm doing when it comes to mixing, proper prep, and spray. I'm going to start a thread about painting mid-summer, I'd love some feedback. As well as what you used, etc.
I'm planning on redoing my floors in the fall, so my boat will be apart and perfect for paint

I will keep an eye out for this thread too, as I will eventually do the boat paint as well. I have tried to "fix" the gel coat, it came out ok after it was all said and done, still I don't like the Aqua/baby blue the boat once was, SO I would like to paint the body of the boat white and give it two black stripes to match the interior, basically the exact opposite of your paint scheme Haugy, down to painting the top black stripe indented area that is black on your white, nice accent.

Cusefan78
05-06-2014, 05:33 PM

Haugy, I have painted all my work trucks. The key really is in the prep work. Sand till it's smooth then sand again. Make sure everything is dust free. Before you spray I alway check the pattern on a piece of cardboard. Make sure the paint is spraying evenly. When your all done color sand it to get the orange peel off.

shnook1
05-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Well, 3 full weekends out and so far no problems or issues. Paint is holding up great so far even with the occasional bump of the dock from wakes of boats passing by. Looks like its going to be a great summer. Hope everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day!!!