PDA

View Full Version : 1986 Sunport Skier - ski pylon corroding

ckracing
04-25-2014, 09:37 AM
The ski pylon in my '86 Sunsport Skier is corroding towards the base. I assume the corrosion is worse under the floor. This past winter I purchased another ski pylon out of a Sunport that was being parted out. I've started to clean the one I purchased. As I've applied light blasting agents to it the base (below the floor) seems to be suffering from the same issues as the one currently in my boat.
My questions -

Not knowing how this is mounted under the floor, can I turn it on a lathe and then sleeve it back to the original size?
Does the mounting plate between the main stringers have an 'insert' hole and then set screws to hold it in place?
How tight is the tolerance of the insert hole? Do I have to be 100% accurate in sleeving / re-sizing if I turn on a lathe?
Should I Magnaflux / Zyglo these pieces to ensure no cracks?

My concern ultimately is the integrity of the piece. Am I overthinking this? Is there an easier fix? Should I leave my current one in and deal with the 'flaking' of the pylon just above the floor?

Boat isn't currently in front of me and I only get limited time in the machine shop.

Thanks in advance -
Chris

vvfdfirefighter
05-01-2014, 10:23 AM
Chris I'm almost sure the ski pylon will fit universally. However, do not quote me on that. There may need to be modification and I'm unaware of torque specs. However my suggestion it to take the newer pylon to the boat with you next time and see if the base plates appear to be the same. A tape measure will help too. Suggestion on the pylon though. Either one you decide mark the pylon with a marker where it enters the floor. From that mark up have the pole powder coated, painted,polished or whatever you want. From that mark down and including the base have it blasted really Well, then pick up bed liner in a spray can. Duplicolor Bed Armor is great stuff I use it on my equipment with their frames drive pulleys and such. Use multiple light coats and let it sit for 4 hours or so between coats. You shouldn't have too much worry about rust from that point on.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

vvfdfirefighter
05-01-2014, 10:27 AM
As for the integrity of the pole and mount, I don't think you should worry those mounts are approximately ¼" steel. But it would be nice to have no rust

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

ckracing
05-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Thanks - will be tackling this in the next few weeks.

csuggs
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Chris, there is a steel "receptacle" under the floor that the pylon fits into. The mating of these dissimilar metals is what causes the corrosion, and the fact that they are usually wet. As for the torque on the set screws? Freakin' tight. As for the integrity of the pylon? I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk