PDA

View Full Version : 94 5.8 wont start with key

drewlink
04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
So just like the title says, my boat wont start with the key. If I jump the solenoid or starter it fires with no issue. I have replaced the ignition barrel and a new solenoid (since that is what I first thought it was). I am at a loss as I have idea what it could be. I bypassed the transmission safety switch as a trial and that didnt work either, so now I have it hooked back up. In behind the silencer there is bank of what looks like 3 red buttons. There is no real way to get to the easily so I thought I would ask before I start really ripping this thing apart. They are just below the Protec ignition module. Ice will be off the lake in the next couple weeks and would really like to get it out on the water.

Drew

michael hunter
05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Check for voltage at the S terminal of the solenoid with the key turned to the start position. No voltage trace back the wire from there to the trans to the ign switch. If you have voltage at the S term its probably the solenoid.

vvfdfirefighter
05-01-2014, 10:10 AM
On the back of your ignition switch there should be a thicker red wire by itself, could be different. But if my mind is correct it should be on the "S" terminal post. Take that wire off and attach an ohm meter in the volts position to that terminal with the red needle and of course the black to a ground. Turn the key to start and hold it for a second to see if you're getting any volts. If not bad ignition. If so replace the wire and take the meter to the small red wire on the "s" terminal at the solenoid like Michael states and follow his directions from there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk