PDA

View Full Version : Tower speakers wiring

MDVols
05-02-2014, 04:54 PM
I've got 4 wetsounds tower speakers. Is it best to pull a wire to each one and split the four on two channels or will it hurt to pull one wire to each side and then jump to the next one. The amp is a 1k watt 4 channel.

I've been told both ways. It will be easier to just pull one to each Side but I will pull four if I need to, I just don't want to lose any power.

Bam! Supra, what's that!

MDVols
05-02-2014, 04:56 PM
I guess Wylietunes would be the expert at this

Bam! Supra, what's that!

Zim
05-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I'd wire at least 12 guage wire to each speaker personally. 14 at the absolute max.

MDVols
05-02-2014, 05:11 PM
Well I got 16 cause I was originally gonna pull 4, I'm gonna have to drill a bigger hole in the bottom of the tower and the boat to fit them. Really don't want to

Bam! Supra, what's that!

Zim
05-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Well I got 16 cause I was originally gonna pull 4, I'm gonna have to drill a bigger hole in the bottom of the tower and the boat to fit them. Really don't want to

Bam! Supra, what's that!

Yeah, it's a pain in the ass. I did it last summer. I don't require that type of wire yet, but someday I plan to put more power to the tower and I'll be happy I have it then.

Wylietunes
05-02-2014, 11:39 PM
What wet Sounds speakers and what amp?

With 2 pair of speakers and a 4 chnl amp, the ideal config would be to run a speaker wire pair to each pod and each pod wired to its own chnl. I would say 14ga wire at a minimum, but that will be dependent on the amount of power driving each speaker.

Now, another option for when its tough to fish 4 2-conductors up a tower, is to wire a pair in series, then bridge it one half of a 4 chnl amp. This nets the same power to each pod as it would if each speaker was wired directly to a chnl. This requires larger gauge per side, but one one 2-conductor per pair.

MDVols
05-03-2014, 01:16 AM
Well I put them in series on each side and used channels 1 and 2 and then bridged a sub on 3 and 4. So basically take out the sub and bridge one side on 1 and 2 and the other on 3 and 4.

If I did that could I turn them up louder and it stay clearer, if that makes any sense. And my amp is nothing special it's just a 1K watt Pyle marine amp. So prolly only getting about 800 watts but it seems ok for $100. Kinda went overboard on everything else.

Wylietunes
05-03-2014, 08:45 AM
Ok, just to make sure I am clear, you have 4 (2 pair) of tower and a 4 ohm sub you want to run all on a 4 chnl amp? Im afraid that amp wont cut it, heres why. You will be loading down all 4 chnls @ the max load that amp can handle and doing it with the 2 most abused zones in a boat audio system. You really need to have a dedicated amp for those 4 tower speakers.

If you list (actual model numbers) of that Pyle amp and what other amps you have, along with what tower speakers you actually have and how many in-boats, we will try to figure out a plan.

MDVols
05-03-2014, 01:25 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/a7uvyquv.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/04/5yquhabe.jpg

This is what I have. So can I just bridge 2 of them on channels 1 and 2 and bridge the other 2 on channels 3 and 4, and take the sub out for now until I get another amp?

Bam! Supra, what's that!

Wylietunes
05-03-2014, 08:21 PM
The best and safest use of that amp would be to power just the 4 tower speakers. To get your moneys worth out of those 4 new speakers, I would suggest an amp with more power. Unfortunately, that amp will never deliver 1000 watts. Its RMS, which is all that counts power wise, is going to be 40W rms to each speaker. Thats about 60W+ shy of what I would want to feed that speaker on a tower. I would suggest a 2 chnl amp.

Wire a pair in series, which equals 8 ohm. Wire that series pair bridged to chnl 1/2. Repeat this with the other pair on chnls 3/4. The output to each speaker will be 40W rms, same as if each speaker was wired to a chnl.

Other wise, keep the sub in the loop. Wire a pair in parallel on chnl 1, 2nd pair in parallel on chnl 2 and bridge the sub on chnl 3/4. On hot days, if the amp is pushed hard, it could shut off for a bit.

MDVols
05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Took the sub off and bridged both sets. It sounded great today. Thanks!

Bam! Supra, what's that!