PDA

View Full Version : "New" 2000 launch project

vvfdfirefighter
05-02-2014, 09:49 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/ygypu2y4.jpgWell guys I purchased a 2000 launch last month and have been working hard on my days off trying to bring her back to life. Known problems were bent prop and rudder and upholstery as Well as a couple of the Magellan gauges. The gel coat was horrible, I don't think this boat was covered in at least 7 years. So I'm starting a thread on my progress. Hope y'all enjoy.14064http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/ysy5avas.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/03/tyzete5u.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

MDVols
05-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Man, the previous owner really let her fade huh, did you get a good deal on her?

td in nc
05-03-2014, 12:36 PM
What gauges are you trying to replace. I took my Medallion Volt, Temp, Gas and Oil Pressure gauges out, not sure if they work or not, but if you need them you can have them.

Rookie1
05-04-2014, 01:02 PM
What did you put on the blue stripes to bring the color back?
Thanks
Rusty

vvfdfirefighter
05-04-2014, 06:21 PM
What gauges are you trying to replace. I took my Medallion Volt, Temp, Gas and Oil Pressure gauges out, not sure if they work or not, but if you need them you can have them.

Td in NC, the ones I need are volts oil pressure and temperature! I'd gladly take them off your hands!

vvfdfirefighter
05-04-2014, 06:25 PM
What did you put on the blue stripes to bring the color back?
Thanks
Rusty

Rookie1, I wet sanded the blue line with 600 grit then 800 and then used a compound called buff magic on it with a dual action polisher. It starts out about 800 grit itself and then basically cuts itself down to over 2000 grit. Amazon is the best place I found it cost wise. Make sure while wet sanding to also use a bucket of water with a drop or two of liquid dish soap in it. Keep rinsing your sandpaper, that is on a sanding block, into the bucket. The soap keeps the sandpaper from clogging up. Any more questions just ask!!!

Robbie

vvfdfirefighter
05-04-2014, 06:34 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/05/aqeqeje9.jpg

Port side done. Only took me about 13 hours! That is not a fish story either. That oxidation on the blue was bad but the white was way worse. Finding the right angle to look at the Hull while buffing was hard. But I got all the fade out. Now to the starboard side.

michael hunter
05-05-2014, 07:54 AM
With rudder and prop damage make sure you look carefully at the strut it may have been bent?

vvfdfirefighter
05-05-2014, 10:57 AM
With rudder and prop damage make sure you look carefully at the strut it may have been bent?

Here's my question. I thought the same but I've not been able to verify. Say it is, I know the shaft isn't bent since the gap at the transmission coupling never followed the rotation I rotated the shaft. It always stayed at a constant. I realigned the engine and got it within 1 thousands of an inch. If the strut is bent and the engine is aligned to the shaft as it sits now will it cause problems?

barelyfloating
05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
I feel your pain on the hull refresh. My hand is still numb after countless hours of wet sanding/compounding/polishing/waxing my 2001 22ssv this winter. I pulled my decals too, just wanting a new look this year. I had the flat seats resurfaced this winter too. Well worth it.

vvfdfirefighter
05-06-2014, 02:18 PM
I feel your pain on the hull refresh. My hand is still numb after countless hours of wet sanding/compounding/polishing/waxing my 2001 22ssv this winter. I pulled my decals too, just wanting a new look this year. I had the flat seats resurfaced this winter too. Well worth it.

Great job very clean looking boat!

td in nc
05-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Td in NC, the ones I need are volts oil pressure and temperature! I'd gladly take them off your hands!

If you message me with your address I will send them to you. Not sure if they work or not, but does not hurt to try.

vvfdfirefighter
05-07-2014, 10:06 PM
If you message me with your address I will send them to you. Not sure if they work or not, but does not hurt to try.

I sent you a pm! I'll send you a check for the shipping. If you'd like send all the ones you aren't needing.

vvfdfirefighter
05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Got her in the water the other day. Still need to wet sand the starboard side but had to have a little fun! http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/y4yju4a6.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/08/urara7aj.jpg

vvfdfirefighter
05-08-2014, 09:06 AM
Man, the previous owner really let her fade huh, did you get a good deal on her?

I got it for under 14

haugy
05-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Nice boots. LOL!!

Zim
05-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Great work on the gel... it looks awesome.

Ptownkid
05-10-2014, 06:41 AM
Under 14? Oh come on....where are these great deals hiding?

vvfdfirefighter
05-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Under 14? Oh come on....where are these great deals hiding?

Well if it helps, I've dumped 2000 plus my time and labor into it since. But I agree, they are few and far between. Everyone thinks they can sell a boat that's been neglected for average retail. But then again people keep buying them at these prices which keeps the market high! I Just lucked out that he understood all the sweat work I was going to have to out into her

Zim
05-10-2014, 09:36 AM
Well if it helps, I've dumped 2000 plus my time and labor into it since. But I agree, they are few and far between. Everyone thinks they can sell a boat that's been neglected for average retail. But then again people keep buying them at these prices which keeps the market high! I Just lucked out that he understood all the sweat work I was going to have to out into her

I'm in the same boat... bought my neglected 06 20V for 16,500. Runs great, just needed a deep clean and still needs some minor repairs here and there. I can do that over the years and make it look new again for much less than what I would have paid for one in pristine condition.

Ptownkid
05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
Yeah, yours was a ridiculous deal...

vvfdfirefighter
05-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Yeah, yours was a ridiculous deal...

Well the carpet needed a grand cleaning, all the gel coat was oxidized badly, new rudder, prop and shaft alignment and a few of the seats needed repaired, gauges shot from water damage. But it only has about 100 hours on a new motor and it ran great. Just wasn't taken care of or covered in years

Ptownkid
05-10-2014, 06:01 PM
I meant Zim's, but yours was a pretty good buy as well all things considered. My perspective is slightly skewed though as we get no deals up here.

barelyfloating
03-08-2015, 10:06 PM
I found these products late last year, and they're fantastic. Give them a try! After wet sanding the hull three times, and bringing this old beauty back to life, I've been a head-case with regards to keeping this thing looking prestine. I've tried at least four other products. These are by far the best.

http://boatbling.net/