PDA

View Full Version : Monster tower install

Ptownkid
05-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Anyone see any issue using PL Premium to glue in thicker backing plates?

Wylietunes
05-04-2014, 08:59 PM
Using a backing plate is the most important then anything, but making the backing plate part of the hull is an added benefit. I see no issue with the PL adhesive or similar.

michael hunter
05-05-2014, 07:37 AM
I used marine epoxy to glue in glass coated 3/4'' plywood backers then 1/4 '' aluminum plates. No stress cracks in 6 years. Note make sure you chamfer the holes.

haugy
05-05-2014, 09:37 AM
Michael, so you had plywood against the top cap, or aluminum?

Ptownkid
05-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Yeah...I was hoping to not have to go to that extent. So many things to do to get on the water, trying not to get discouraged.

michael hunter
05-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Michael, so you had plywood against the top cap, or aluminum?

First 3/4 ply covered with fiberglass then epoxied to the under deck. I went as big as possible approximately 3''x10'' then 1/4'' aluminum plates as a backer bolted on with the tower bolts. It took 3 days to install the tower its hard to believe when I read someone got it done in hours. Maybe I am just old and slow?

Ptownkid
05-25-2014, 08:43 PM
I am getting on this in the next few days...any reason i can't use poly resin and cabosil to bed in backing plates? I already have it on hand.

Ptownkid
05-27-2014, 06:19 AM
No one? Bueller?

Another question...everyone speaks of large backing plates, yet very few people have mentioned obstacles in their way. Am I the only one with strips of wood bedded in to support things like stainless rails right where mounting feet would be great?

SquamInboards
05-28-2014, 09:32 AM
I don't see why you couldn't use the poly resin and some filler to bed in the backing plates.

To some extent I planned the location of the tower feet based on where other items were located. You may have to adjust the foot location slightly if it conflicts with something. I hemmed and hawed for hours (weeks actually) about the location of my tower to meet all of the following:

1. reasonable mounting points for the feet
2. need to be able to stand on the engine cover - if the tow point was too far back, this would be awkward or impossible
3. need to be able to sit on the gunwale comfortably with feet in the driver's seat
4. fit the Monster Medium Bimini under the tower, as low as possible but not so low that I constantly hit my head on it - I find that when you have a tiny bimini up 4-5 feet, you get almost no shade.

By the time I satisfied these conditions, the foot locations were settled within 3-4" and I was able to adjust slightly as needed. I have been very happy with the mount points and the whole tower and bimini, and I'm glad I took the time to ponder its location thoroughly. I did not bed in my backing plates, but just used the largest thing I could fit.

Ptownkid
05-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Have any pics?

Blackntan90
05-29-2014, 05:40 AM
I did not bed mine either...suppose I could always crawl back under there. No stress cracks at all in 6 years, fingers now crossed.

SquamInboards
05-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Have any pics?

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?14877-New-tower-install-w-bimini

There are some pics in that thread, let me know if you need more.

Ptownkid
05-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks, managed to commit to the back feet last night and drilled them...