PDA

View Full Version : Propeller Strut Alignment, 1987 Comp 19

KaiVal
05-04-2014, 11:23 AM
The propeller strut on my 87 Comp 19 is misaligned by about 3 -5 degrees. It looks like it came from the factory that way since the strut in not bent, it is centered in it's indent in the hull, inside the bolt pattern as well as the rudder steering support angle show the misalignment. When the shaft is pulled over to align the coupling flanges it is centered in the through hull fitting and the flanges align by < .003". When the shaft is uncoupled it rides on the through hull fitting. I checked the strut alignment with a straight edge and the shaft and base are in alignment.
I can not realign the strut by repositioning due to the indent in the hull. The strut would need to be twisted off angle from it's base.
Has anyone else experienced this?

ssa
05-04-2014, 12:45 PM
I did a alignment on mine last week. I had to realign the strut because it was off center to starboard. There is plenty of room in the hull indent to realign it the small amount you will need to turn it. Get some 3M 4000 or 5200 to rebed it in. You need to have it centered in the shaft log if your having to pull it to center then your bowing the shaft and its going to induce wear and premature failure of either the strut bearings or output shaft bearings and seals in the trans.

KaiVal
05-05-2014, 11:50 AM
I'll try that, thanks.