PDA

View Full Version : starting problems

supra2009
05-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Hey guys my boat won't start. And look like a reset button next to the starter solenoid, I put a new solenoid on it and it still won't start. Didn't know if the 'reset button'could be by passed or wat. It has a brand new battery in it. If u got ideally let me know. Thanks guys
and it had a 351 ford motor in it

Zim
05-10-2014, 06:40 PM
Need more info.

Is it cranking? Describe exactly what's happening. There's a million reasons why a boat won't start. Maybe not a million, but lots.

supra2009
05-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Like it wont click or anything. Had the starter tested and it tested good. Then I jumped the solenoid and it would click then. But there is a circuit breaker that hooks to the solenoid, so I'm hoping thats it

chris young
05-12-2014, 10:39 AM
If you jumped the big terminals on the solenoid and all it did was click it's probably a bad ground somewhere. Take some jumper cables and go direct to your starter from the battery. First just connect the negative to the battery, then to the starter housing or a solid clean bolt somewhere on the block, then try to start it. If still nothing attach the red cable to the heavy terminal on the starter that goes to the solenoid. (do not connect the other end of the positive to the battery yet0 Do your best to make all three of these connections as solid as possible. Now, firmly plant the red jumper cable on the battery post. Don't clamp the jumper on, just hold it firmly on the battery post. There will be a substantial spark so make sure everything has been well ventilated before doing this. If the starter cranks, it's either a bad connection somewhere or a bad relay. If it doesn't, then the starter is bad, But you say it's been tested so, it should crank.

Good luck