PDA

View Full Version : Alternator replacement: how to

mpiller
05-11-2014, 04:23 AM
So many of y'all may remember I was having a problem with my alternator, with yall's help I was able to diagnose it pretty easily. Decided I should do a quick write up on how to replace the alternator, its a very simple job and took less than 30 minutes. This is on a 2007 Supra 24ssv

Tools needed:
-14mm socket
-10mm socket
-13mm socket
-allen wrench set

The alternator is on the starboard side at the back of the motor. You'll only need to be in the starboard storage compartment next to the motor. Looking at the back of the alternator you'll need to remove the electrical connection as seen in the picture, and the positive and negative battery connections. The positive was a 13mm, and the negative was a 10mm. On my new alternator I believe the pos was a 14mm and the neg was a 13 but I'm not certain on that.
Then you'll need to remove the tensioner bolt on the bottom front of the alternator underneath the pulley. There is no belt tensioner so this is what is used instead. This took an allen wrench but I couldn't tell the size because mine were pretty beat up. After that remove the top bolt which was a 14mm.
To re-install just follow the steps backwards, but it helps to loosen the bolt that holds the adjusting piece on the bottom just a tad to make it easier to get the bottom bolt in the alternator once the belt is around it. Once you've done that I used a wrench as leverage to tighten up the belt as much as possible and so that it would stay while I tightened everything.
All in all it's a simple install but hopefully this will make it even quicker for the next person.

CJD
05-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Thanks! Did you go with a stock replacement, or "amp it up" a bit?

mpiller
05-11-2014, 06:26 PM
No problem man, I used a stock 90amp replacement from dbelectrical, never had any problems with it before and I'm happy with my stereo setup. Just noticed that first picture is upside down in case any one was a bit confused.