PDA

View Full Version : Comp hopping out of water

Henner
05-12-2014, 12:07 PM
I didn't know how to correctly title this thread, but here is what is happening. When i get up over 30 MPH and have atleast 2 people in the back seat my boat will not ride smoothly, it starts to hop out of the water unless i come back down. Another way i can get it to stop is move everyone to the front but that is not very comfortable for the riders. I have the wake plate under the swim deck and i figure that has to be whats causing this. My next question is how to fix this? Does the plate need to go up or down?

Thanks in advance,

chris young
05-12-2014, 04:04 PM
That's classic too much tilt on an outboard, but I didn't think the wake plate could make that much of a difference. Anyhow, the first place to start is the wake plate, it should be level with the hull.

98salt
05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Hi, that is caused by the wake plate being too high. your wake however, will flatten out, but it will ride better at speed.
good luck!

SquamInboards
05-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Yep, adjust the wake plate down a little and try it again. I tried taking the wake plate off a few years ago. Much better wake for wakeboarding at 20mph, but it did what you're describing at any higher speeds. It's called porpoising, as in the way a porpoise swims/jumps up and down out of the water. At least, that's what I've always heard it called. Some boats will do it with too much weight in the stern regardless...

haugy
05-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Yep, adjust the wake plate down a little and try it again. I tried taking the wake plate off a few years ago. Much better wake for wakeboarding at 20mph, but it did what you're describing at any higher speeds. It's called porpoising, as in the way a porpoise swims/jumps up and down out of the water. At least, that's what I've always heard it called. Some boats will do it with too much weight in the stern regardless...

Bingo. What he said ^^^^^^^

92SupraComp
05-14-2014, 10:40 PM
the plate should be LEVEL with the bottom of the boat. And no more than 1/8" above the bottom of the boat. That is of course if it is the stock solid aluminum plate that I have...

DAFF
05-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Bingo. Was his name O.....