PDA

View Full Version : Home-made Racks for the swivel racks

Zim
05-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Hey guys, thought I'd share the progress on this. Been working on cutting some racks since my boat came without one side, and I wanted larger fingers to fit a surf board, but didn't want to give up the stock appearance of the swivel racks. Roswell wants too much money for theirs, so I ordered some material and cut these on the CNC. My first go at it, so there's some improvement to be made, but the possibilities are pretty endless with the help of a CNC. I made these to fit a surf board/knee board and a wake board. If you look to the left, that's the crank case to the new Indian motorcycles :)

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/zimstang/IMG951805_zpsbnbnwkt2.jpg

ssa
05-14-2014, 04:30 PM
Looks good. Are those slots for rubber to go in the fingers?

Zim
05-14-2014, 04:46 PM
Looks good. Are those slots for rubber to go in the fingers?

Yeah, the rubber is actually in there. Kind of an optical illusion.

ssa
05-14-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah it was hard to tell if it was just a slit or if the rubber was there. Looks good. It would be nice having a cnc to make your own like that in whatever combination you want.

Zim
05-14-2014, 05:05 PM
I was thinking about making one that holds 4 boards. Two surf boards in the middle, then a wake rack on both outter ends. Never seen something like that before.

Sharpie525
05-15-2014, 06:36 AM
What brand CNC and controller did you use? Looks nice!

Zim
05-15-2014, 11:48 AM
What brand CNC and controller did you use? Looks nice!

No idea... its at my dad's aluminum foundry.

Sharpie525
05-15-2014, 12:41 PM
Got it. I'm a cnc programer/engineer so I was seeing if you had programs or solid models I could look at. :D

Zim
05-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Got it. I'm a cnc programer/engineer so I was seeing if you had programs or solid models I could look at. :D

I'm fairly certain they use solidworks, if that's what you're wondering. They have a lot of different sized CNC's with a full machine shop, so I don't really know much about what was used to cut these.

vvfdfirefighter
05-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Zim You keep this up You could make a pretty penny from all of us fellow rack wanters!!!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

cigars n scotch
05-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Wow that is awesome, I don't know shit about CNC so is that one piece or multiple pieces welded together?

Zim
05-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Wow that is awesome, I don't know shit about CNC so is that one piece or multiple pieces welded together?

Those are multiple pieces bolted together. I only made the fingers of the racks. The other stuff came with my boat from the factory. I could make those other pieces, they're just not cheap to do haha.

cigars n scotch
05-28-2014, 01:28 PM
Those are multiple pieces bolted together. I only made the fingers of the racks. The other stuff came with my boat from the factory. I could make those other pieces, they're just not cheap to do haha.

Oh I thought you made the whole setup! Hahaha nonetheless impressive though! Very cool.

How'd you get the swivel part off? I looked at mine a few weeks ago and couldn't figure it out so I gave up. I want to get mine powder coated.

Zim
05-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Oh I thought you made the whole setup! Hahaha nonetheless impressive though! Very cool.

How'd you get the swivel part off? I looked at mine a few weeks ago and couldn't figure it out so I gave up. I want to get mine powder coated.

metric 5.5mm allen key. Needed a breaker bar for it.