PDA

View Full Version : 92 Comp Big Air tower install

cjtpilot
05-17-2014, 06:38 PM
Well after much thought and research I decided to install a Big Air tower.

Big Air Cuda tower w/nav light from www.wakeessentials.com
Origin wakeboard racks

BGeorge01
05-17-2014, 06:58 PM
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjtpilot
05-19-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks, I am happy with the end result.

Straitcountry86
11-13-2015, 02:14 AM
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was thinking about installing this same tower on my 93 Sunsport and I must say it looks excellent on your boat. Initially I was favoring the forward sweep look, but your pics are making me consider otherwise. How was the install? What kind of backing did you use and how did you get access to the inside of the gunnel where the backing goes? Also, do you notice any flex or rattling from the tower?

cjtpilot
11-13-2015, 09:55 AM
The install was pretty easy, measure, measure, and measure again. I put it all together in my garage and then to hang it my son and my wife helped me lift it and then we strapped it to the basketball goal for support so I could adjust the width and drill the cross support holes. I used 3/4"plywood sealed with Thompsons waterseal cut as wide as I could and extra long to spread the load and the metal backing plates that come with it. I accessed underneath through the observers seat was easy and just reached down the side to get the back bolt. The drivers side was a pain since unless you take out the drivers seat to get under (which I highly recommend) I have noticed no flexing, some squeeks when in rough water, the important thing is to tighten all the screws every few weeks the first season. Even using loctight I had to do this. I am very pleased overall with this tower. Oh and what ever wires you think you might want eventually make sure to run those through while putting the tower together. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I was thinking about installing this same tower on my 93 Sunsport and I must say it looks excellent on your boat. Initially I was favoring the forward sweep look, but your pics are making me consider otherwise. How was the install? What kind of backing did you use and how did you get access to the inside of the gunnel where the backing goes? Also, do you notice any flex or rattling from the tower?

Straitcountry86
11-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info. So just to be clear, was there any drilling that you had to do to cut access holes on the inside of the boat? Or was the only drilling you needed to do for the mounting bolts? I have heard some people mention that they needed to cut 4 inch access holes on the inside of the boat to gain access.

cjtpilot
11-16-2015, 09:56 AM
I did't need to drill any access holes in my Comp. It would of been easier if I could of removed the throttle quadrant but I was able to reach enough to get the nut on and tighten with impact wrench.
Thanks for the info. So just to be clear, was there any drilling that you had to do to cut access holes on the inside of the boat? Or was the only drilling you needed to do for the mounting bolts? I have heard some people mention that they needed to cut 4 inch access holes on the inside of the boat to gain access.