PDA

View Full Version : Boat uneven I'm water

vvfdfirefighter
05-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Anyone know why both of my supra boat's sit a good 1.5-2" lower on the drivers side (starboard ) than they do on the port side. Note this is without anyone in the boat. But I've noticed my wake on both boat's is better on the starboard side than the port too.

87 Supra Marauder
2000 Launch

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk

Zim
05-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Your stringers and foam are probably water logged and need to be redone.

vvfdfirefighter
05-22-2014, 10:07 PM
Your stringers and foam are probably water logged and need to be redone.

Zim my 2000 is 100% composite. I thought that about my 87 but since they are both doing it

Zim
05-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Zim my 2000 is 100% composite. I thought that about my 87 but since they are both doing it

Oh sorry, I just assumed the 87 cause I didn't read far enough LOL. Where's the battery? Do you have a bunch of stuff stored in compartments on the starboard side at all?

vvfdfirefighter
05-22-2014, 10:12 PM
Batteries on both are on the opposite side, nothing heavy in compartments actually battery and anchor are on the opposite side

CJD
05-22-2014, 10:54 PM
Mine does too, but only when I load the bear in the starboard cooler...

haugy
05-23-2014, 09:06 AM
It's gangsta lean. :)

Or you're fat and the boat just doesn't feel like trying to fight it when you get out. HA HA HA :)

I'm just full of fire today.

I don't know man, mine don't do that.

cadunkle
05-24-2014, 01:27 PM
Composite don't matter, wet foam is wet foam. Shouldn't do much harm to composite stringers and floor unless it freeze/thaw cycles enough times in which case you'd likely get cracks and/or delamination. If nothing obvious with weight distribution then I'd drill a hole with a hole saw somewhere inconspicuous like under back seat on starboard side and dig to bottom to see if foam is wet. If it's dry just put it back and glass over, if wet... Fix is the same as a wood boat.

How much weight on port side does it take to make it level? If not much you may not be too bad off and just move batteries or put 50 lbs of metal on that side, whatever works. May be nothing to worry about but that much lean would make me worry about holding water. Check for leaks too, does it get water in the bilge?

DAFF
05-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Drill a 3/8" hole into the stringer as close to the hull as possible in the main bilge area. My fear is there is water on the starboard side of the structural part of the hull. By drilling the hole it will release the trapped water and let it drain into the bilge. My thought while sitting on the trailer the boat was filled with rain water. Once the water stops draining shove a cork into the hole and see if the issue happens again. Once the issue is solved you can reseal the hole.

lively
05-26-2014, 11:38 PM
Wet foam ! Yummy ! It's a 2000 , foam is there , boat is not water tight . Daff has a point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vvfdfirefighter
05-26-2014, 11:41 PM
Composite don't matter, wet foam is wet foam. Shouldn't do much harm to composite stringers and floor unless it freeze/thaw cycles enough times in which case you'd likely get cracks and/or delamination. If nothing obvious with weight distribution then I'd drill a hole with a hole saw somewhere inconspicuous like under back seat on starboard side and dig to bottom to see if foam is wet. If it's dry just put it back and glass over, if wet... Fix is the same as a wood boat.

How much weight on port side does it take to make it level? If not much you may not be too bad off and just move batteries or put 50 lbs of metal on that side, whatever works. May be nothing to worry about but that much lean would make me worry about holding water. Check for leaks too, does it get water in the bilge?

Well I guess that makes sense. It only takes about 5-10 lbs to even her out. She's got leaky mufflers, I need to find replacements for them. But the bilge only gets about an inch before it automatically kicks on.

vvfdfirefighter
05-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Drill a 3/8" hole into the stringer as close to the hull as possible in the main bilge area. My fear is there is water on the starboard side of the structural part of the hull. By drilling the hole it will release the trapped water and let it drain into the bilge. My thought while sitting on the trailer the boat was filled with rain water. Once the water stops draining shove a cork into the hole and see if the issue happens again. Once the issue is solved you can reseal the hole.

Daff I'll try that. I learn something new every day. Didn't know the 21' and up boats had foam. It was left uncovered by the PO for years. First thing I bought for it. I'll have to try it out! Thank You!

td in nc
05-27-2014, 09:09 PM
I would check with the dealer. I have seen this topic on another ski boat forum and they indicated that it had to do with the boat being set up to run level at skiing speed, not when at rest. The boat having the appearance of being heavier on one side when it sitting idle is to counter counter balance the rotation of the prop. If I recall correctly this is why you should not put a right hand rotation engine in a boat set up for a left hand rotation engine, as it will amplify the balance issue.