PDA

View Full Version : Supra saltare temp gauge

Rusty
05-23-2014, 07:43 PM
I'm on the water right now and here's my issue..

Just replaced the temp thermostat... Now getting irradict readings. At idle the temp gauge will display 160 degrees which is perfect- but at take off/throttle the temp gauge will go all the way to 220 and beyond. I will idle and it wil go back down again... Can anyone give me a clue? Don't want to run it too much if there is an issue ... Thnx

92SupraComp
05-23-2014, 08:23 PM
temp thermostat??? do you mean the thermostat or the temp sender?

CornRickey
05-25-2014, 09:53 AM
What year? Why did you replace the thermostat?

Rusty
05-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Hi! It's an 87 saltare. I meant thermostat. It ended up overheating and bogging out later that day. I flipped the thermostat over and it seemed better. The problem I was having is that the temp would go way up (200 plus) after a run... It would go down once I would start to idle and cruise again. So I thought the gaskets I replaced in the risers were backward. So I replaced those. Then the next thing was to replace the thermostat. Think I put it in upside down? What direction should it face? any other clues would be helpful. Thnx dudes :).

92SupraComp
05-25-2014, 05:41 PM
You flipped it and it seems to work better? AH! Pics, takes pics. The little "pot" should be sitting face down so it is in the water flow of the engine....

lively
05-26-2014, 01:33 AM
Check you impeller , when was the last time you did ? Sounds like you have air pockets and not enough water to cool it down at high rpms , usually it will get hot at idle and cool down while driving if it a impeller that's shred . But I would check it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rusty
05-27-2014, 01:09 AM
Check you impeller , when was the last time you did ? Sounds like you have air pockets and not enough water to cool it down at high rpms , usually it will get hot at idle and cool down while driving if it a impeller that's shred . But I would check it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just changed the impeller last week. I'll take some pics.