PDA

View Full Version : Velvet Drive 10-17-004 DRY

87SUPRACOMPBABY
05-26-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm trying to resurrect the 87 comp I grew up on and have little to no mechanical knowledge. Any and all advice is appreciated.

The boat has sat for the last 5 years and I'm currently working on the aesthetics (gel coat/interior) while having a local marine mechanic get it up to snuff. After having the carb rebuilt, starter replaced, oil change/spark plugs I've decided I can no longer afford to have someone else do the work. I'm looking for a list of things I need to check/do before trying to take it out on the water again.

I pulled the tranny dip stick and it was DRY with some rust! This really scares me and I'm looking for any advice on how I should proceed. It's hard to believe there's nothing in the tranny considering the boat seemed to run well 5-6 years ago.

This boat means the world to me (only good memories on this boat before a long and ugly divorce) and I want to relive those memories with my own family. I am OBSESSED with this forum and appreciate all the great info you all share. Any and all advice is appreciated!

Thanks!