PDA

View Full Version : 2003 SSV hard to start when cold, runs fine once started?

tretter7
05-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Hey guys,
I've got the Indmar 320 Assault engine in my '03 SSV, and I'm having a issue getting it to fire off when the engine is cold. It cranks strong, but takes 2-3 sets of 7 seconds cranking before it'll come to life. Once it's running it runs and restarts pretty well. I do notice it surges up a little bit at idle, maybe once every 2-3 minutes it'll go from idling at ~800rpm and jump to ~1100, but it's not so noticeable.

My original thought was spark plugs, distributor cap & rotor. No luck. Replaced the temp sensor for the ECM and the idle air control valve. Still no luck. Replaced the fuel/water separator and checked fuel pressure at the TBI rail -- 30 psi. Any ideas on where to go from here?

Appreciate any help. I've been lurking around here a bunch, searching for someone with symptoms similar to mine and most of our boats seem to develop problems starting hot due to vapor lock, not cold.

Tim

tretter7
05-27-2014, 07:51 PM
Update: I checked it out with a code reader this afternoon and got a Code 81. Seems like a pile of things can cause this... I'm leaning toward something with the crank sensor or the two injectors on the throttle body...?

lively
05-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Crank sensor on any engine would give a intermittent start , should be a Hall effect sensor , if you do a search you should be able to check resistance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tretter7
05-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Thanks, I'll check that out. Looking through this link: http://www.wakeflot.ru/doc/Indmar_MEFI4manual.pdf

also steers me toward looking at the throttle position sensor. Any thoughts on that being the culprit?